The Longest Now

Google takes years to implement simple ad filters
Friday April 08th 2005, 9:12 pm
Filed under: indescribable

I hope I didn’t startle you, or make you think that they were remedying this situation in the near future. I mention this only brecause Dan Kohn explained recently another of the reasons why this is a problem. The more frequent problem is that you don’t want ads highlighting competition for your own content, even if every one of your readers is loyal.

And ads shouldn’t be boring; I’ve diligently recorded Every. Single. Ad. that I have seen appear on my site that was vaguely interesting (and not “award winning RSS reader and more!”), and it amounts to 4 different ads, 2 from the same source. Ads for RSS readers might be interesting to people who have just heard of RSS last week… they’re not interesting to my readers because my site skeleton mentions RSS a lot.

I could vastly improve the G-automatcher in providing ads my audience cares about, with just a few hints. And the real point is that: not to think of ads as a “necessary evil” that gets slapped on by some clumsy, soulless third party, but as a “potential enhancement” that provides useful information to readers, through the limited frame of what advertisers make available. artwork out of garbage… productive artwork, even.

Thanks for the mention, but your link is broken. The permalink to my posting on “Google AdSense doesn’t honor their policy on inappropriate content” is http://www.dankohn.com/archives/000342.html

Comment by Dan Kohn 04.18.05 @ 4:18 am

Bad Behavior has blocked 203 access attempts in the last 7 days.