Carpal Tunnel Syndrome of the Brain

I’ll put it simply…I’m a man of repetition. It seems like everything that comforts me is either performed, scheduled, or done in repetition.

I start off my day by making my oatmeal and brushing my teeth (simultaneously…I’m a competent multi-tasker). Then I shower, then I eat the oatmeal (after it’s cooled), a banana, and a beer mug of orange juice while watching the news. Then I “use” the bathroom and head to work.

If just one of those items is missing or altered, my entire schedule for the day is ruined. For example, if I’ve run out of bananas, I somehow feel like I’m starving until lunch time (even with my 9:15 a.m. yogurt snack and 11:00 a.m. handful of peanuts).

And, I’m not sure if this is repetition or compulsive/obsessive, but whenever I shut a television off, I have to leave it on channel 4. I don’t know why.

I also tend to go to the same vacation destinations. Yeah, I’ve gone to various places in the past (Santa Fe/Taos, San Francisco, Yosemite, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Toronto, Adirondacks, Fort Lauderdale, Manhattan, etc..), but in recent years our trips have alternated between Montreal (between Christmas and New Years) and Provincetown (last week of July).

Well, after having made the reservation for our usual summer Provincetown rental back in January, Matt notified me today that he may not be able to go because of work conflicts. I freaked. True, part of my frustration was because we coordinated work arrangements before signing the lease, but perhaps a larger part of my frustration was that this was like my missing morning banana. This could mean a change to a schedule I am comfortable with (of which I am comfortable?).

I think I need more spontaneity in my life. I need to break this repetitive pattern. Suggestions?

Oh, and speaking of repetition…for my dinner tonight use the little calendar on the right and go to March 16th to view the photo. That’s what I had for dinner…just substitute the broccoli with spinach. I am the poster-child for excitement.

1. Comment by thomas on March 23, 2004 7:17 pm

routine is a great source of comfort for me as well. i think it keeps me sane (or as close as i’ll ever get to sane).

2. Comment by Salina on March 24, 2004 10:58 am

I agree. There’s nothing wrong with routine….it keeps all your ducks in a row.

3. Comment by Jason on March 30, 2004 5:33 pm

Try brushing your teeth after breakfast. Doesn’t that make more sense?

4. Comment by Randy on January 6, 2010 4:03 pm

I see almost 6 years later you havent changed!

5. Comment by snarl on January 8, 2010 4:12 pm

I see multiple changes in there (growth)? I brush my teeth after breakfast now. I no longer leave the TV on channel 4. I’ve expanded my travel destinations. I’m all about excitement!

Baby steps.