Sounds so Heinous You’d Think You Were in Hell

That describes my evening and portions of my day. The complexities of parenthood took us both by surprise. Matt went to bed while I took my shower. He told me that Dusty whined a bit in her carrying crate but finally settled down.

Three hours later, she whined again to let me know she needed to go to the bathroom. So, at 2:20 a.m. I got up to let her do her thing (Matt remained asleep, I might add). Well, she was wide awake so I had to entertain her for a while before she’d fall back to sleep…whining.

Three hours later at 5:30 a.m. she began whining again. Once again, she did her thing and subsequently had an energy burst that lasted HOURS. Needless to say, I took Monday off from work. I spent a good chunk of the day keeping her company and calling vets, trainers and day-care centers. We have appointments every evening this week.

I’m just hoping that I get some sleep tonight! I’m taking her to work with me tomorrow and will put in a half day there. This will likely continue until we get her to Canine College (training) in two weeks.

Still, through all of these hassles, she’s the most adorable thing you could imagine. She’s still a bit limited mentally (sleeping in clogs, falling on her head, peeing while she’s running, shredding newspaper, running into things, stumbing and sliding across the hardwood floors), but we’re hoping she graduates to at least peeing in place. I’m not going to post pictures of her everyday because I don’t to be one of those people. However, in the absence of an inspired homecooked meal this evening (just spinach salad with grilled chicken), here is another photo of her with a sleeping Matt. 

Below that is a photo of me with my parents taken at my cousin’s house on Sunday. They’re on their way to Biloxi, Mississippi for vacation. You see, they have this goal of visiting every state in the country (well, the continental U.S). They’re almost done and Mississippi is one of the last ones for them. I just don’t get it. For example, they’ll fly to Washington state, drive east to the Montana border, take a photo at the “Welcome to Montana sign”, then turn around. They’ve done this throughout the country. From what I can gather, they’ve not really explored most of the states as much as they’ve touched ground momentarily in those states and then retreated to the next border crossing. Whatever- it seems to make my dad happy.

“karl mom dad”

1. Comment by Scott on April 6, 2004 12:37 pm

Am I psychic or what? I *knew* she was named after Dusty Springfield before you even said it… and Son of a Preacher Man was in my head!

She’s cute! But don’t plan on getting much sleep for a few nights. When’s your birthday? How many spankings do you get?

2. Comment by matt on April 6, 2004 8:10 pm

He’ll be getting spanked on May 24th! …but no other presents. Well, unless he is a really good boy! For an update see my blog! Karl’s puppy issues continue — but tonight we are changing gears!

3. Comment by Doug on April 6, 2004 11:52 pm

I LOVE YOUR PUPPY!