How Can Something So Little Cost So Much?

WARNING: doggy details to follow

So, over the weekend our little Dusty started sneezing. This is in addition to the ear scratching she’s done since the day we got her. Then last night, she threw up in front of Jennifer (how embarassed Dusty was!). This morning, she was constipated (Dusty, not Jennifer). When she finally went to the bathroom, Dusty got it all smooshed into her luxurious Shih Tzu hair.

After spending what felt like an eternity cleaning her, she started having diarrhea all over the place. It was nasty.

I went to work and left little Dusty in the capable hands of Matt. But after leaving Dusty with Matt for only an hour, he called me to help bring her to the vet. He took the train to meet me in Cambridge and we went to a new vet.

The vet did a bunch of tests (and Dusty was well-behaved, I might add – she didn’t cry, bark or bite once). He went into the lab to check some ear swabs under his magnifying glass and then came back to let us have a look. SHE HAD EAR MITES!. It was the most revolting thing to see these magnified gelatenous creatures squirming on the slide! EWW

Long story short: these ear mites caused an ear infection. $372.00 and 45 minutes later, we left the vet with TWO bags full of medication for her. For the next few weeks we’ll be administering complicated dosages of liquid, pill and chewable prescriptions.

Oh, and while we were at it we had the vet shave her ass. Poor thing. She looks silly now – but we can’t have her dragging her feces around the condo anymore.

And finally, it has been requested by Doug that we post some new pictures of her. Here’s one:

1. Comment by matt on April 19, 2004 7:06 pm

poor little thing — we just gave her the ear drops and you would have thought we were torturing her with all of the noises she was making. I hated it — upsetting to see her so upset. But those mites were so disgusting to look at!!!!

2. Comment by Jen on April 19, 2004 10:15 pm

I’m glad to hear it wasn’t me that was constipated. But am also sorry that poor li’l Dustybutt is under the weather!