Tis the Season…To Wear Our Gay Apparel.. Fa La La La La

It’s June. That means that it is unofficially Gay Pride Month (it used to be more official when our previous president recognized it…but it’s still Gay Pride Month all the same).

One thing I don’t understand, however, are people’s reactions to it – even within the gay community. This whole celebration started 35 years ago in New York City when policed raided a gay bar because, well, the patrons were being themselves. Some were in drag, some were effeminite, others were just gay, bi, or curious. The patrons fought back and the Stonewall Riots became history. This was, in essence, the gay version of the shot(glass) heard ’round the world.

So why is it that every year around this time – you hear gay people say “I wish all of those drag queens and leather freaks would tone it down…they’re just setting our movement back” or “You just know that the media is going to focus on those idiots.”

You can hear those comments on the street and, inevitably, even in the gay press. And this infuriates me. Do people not recall that the whole point of this celebration is PRIDE! It’s about being who you are. It’s about having just one day a year where you can be in public and have fun without fear of attack. It should be about liberation, not repression.

If your fear is honestly that the drag queens and leatherman/women are portraying gays in a bad light, look no further than this picture (one that I’ve posted previously):

This is a straight man. This is proof that the media does not focus on gay people as freaks. They are equal opportunity offenders. As long as it makes them money, they’ll photograph it and report on it.

So lighten up everybody. Be yourself…and let everybody else around you be themselves, too. And if you’re so concerned with the media focusing on the so-called “freaks”, then instead of turning away from the camera when you see the local news reporters, run up to the camera and make yourself known.

1. Comment by Erica on June 24, 2004 11:17 am

Word. Worditty McWord.

2. Comment by Underling on June 24, 2004 12:46 pm

Thanks for that…I often need people to put that very thing into perspective for me. That picture certainly did it.

3. Comment by Underling on June 24, 2004 12:46 pm

4. Comment by David on June 24, 2004 12:56 pm

Are you sure he’s not a confused drag queen?

5. Comment by chris on June 24, 2004 5:41 pm

thats some gene pool he must come from. sheesh!

gays have to marginalize their ‘culture’ to get more respect from society as a whole. unfortunately it is the game we ALL have to play to get ahead in life.

the downside as above is that the community will lose a sense of itself- ie the nerdy girl who tries to fit in with the popular crowd, and succeeds. unfortunately the former nerdy girl now taunts those people who dont fit her idea of what popular people do. this is an example what is happening inside the gay community-the uncool (tv/ts, leather, bears etc)are pushed aside in favor of those who fit into the more mainstream culture, the educated professional white gay male. this is the face the gay community wants to put forward, which we all hope will pull our causes forward.

“this is a test, this is only a test.”

6. Comment by matt on June 24, 2004 6:44 pm

I embrace our drag queens and nellie brothers! They, after all, are the bravest of us!

However, I still am confused by what the gay community reall is. I am not sure it really even exists. We are all so different — yet we are bound by the fact that we are sexually attracted to members of the same sex.

I don’t know. Listen, I celebrate the body electric. I celebrate the me yet to come. I open to my own communion when I become one with the sun! thump, thump, thump — FAME! I wanna live forever! I wanna learn how to fly! FLY! I feel it comin’ together!

7. Comment by matt on June 24, 2004 6:44 pm

8. Comment by matt on June 24, 2004 6:45 pm

it was just so important. …I had to post it twice.

9. Comment by JJ on June 24, 2004 11:28 pm

That guy looks like he could be a distant cousin to Steve Wozniack..

10. Comment by Jason on June 27, 2004 4:58 pm

I myself was saying that Pride always needs more drag queens and leather fags/dykes. Otherwise you have lots of men and women standing around in t-shirts and shorts. Yawn!