Walking Towards Death

Matt and I were walking through the Harvard Law School campus today on our way to pick up a rental car to bring Dusty to training in the woods. As we we walked by Langdell Library, we ran across this:

It was the strangest thing. I’ve always wondered whether animals every die of natural causes, or whether they always get killed by cars or other predators. But this little squirrel appeared injury free. In fact, you can’t tell from the angle of this photo, but he was laying in a little crevice in the ground that fit him perfectly. It was as if he laid down to die specifically in that spot. Sad. I want to know how this death transpired. What brought him to that spot?

Anyway, the next picture is of Matt. I think he looks adorable in it (especially since he hates being anywhere near nature. This was also on the Harvard Campus.

However, I want you to look closely at the photo. All around Matt there is plush green life. Yet with all of that life around him, he manages to stand behind the single dead leaf on the entire tree. How does he do that?

1. Comment by matt on July 3, 2004 6:37 pm

Shortly after that picture was taken of me — I was crying over the death of the tiny squirrel. Then, it occurred to me that it was actually just a rat with a fluffy tail. So, I laughed and walked away…

2. Comment by chrispy on July 4, 2004 5:21 pm

y’all are a buncha kooks!

3. Comment by Erica on July 6, 2004 11:34 am

I think the squirrel looks really peaceful like that. Seems like an ideal death, for a squirrel.

4. Comment by Robert on July 6, 2004 1:40 pm

Poor thing… I wonder what happened, too. Maybe it got scared and died from a heart attack?!? Or maybe he choked on some really, really big nutz? dunno…

Matt is adorable… and the leaf on his head is fun-knee indeedy! heh!

5. Comment by Jason on July 8, 2004 10:22 pm

I’m going to pretend that the squirrel is just sleeping. What better way to spend an afternoon than napping in harvard square?

6. Comment by Tim on July 15, 2004 6:17 pm

Who’d have thought that dead squirrels would look so cute? And Matt looks like a natural outdoors, he should do it more often!

7. Comment by Mery on July 23, 2005 12:48 am

The text was good, but i stil cant find the play ipdates. looking for it dude.

8. Comment by Peter Jackson on July 23, 2005 7:34 pm

A heap of wheat, says the Song of Songs
    but I’ve never seen wheat in a pile 🙂
    did you like it?

9. Comment by Richard Davis on July 24, 2005 9:08 pm

Nice one, but what about der weg ? anywya, congrats from me.