What’s Wrong With This Picture?

Is anybody else as frightened of this advertising campaign as I am? I keep stumbling upon these ads in magazines and am truly traumatized by them. Like a bloody car accident, I just can’t look away.  I’ll be happily flipping the magazines of my favorite magazines – reading about the difficulties of being a gazillionairre celebrity – and then this life-size armpit appears out of nowhere.

And what’s worse – the ads always have a woman completely enamored with the armpit. Who is this woman? I suppose these ads will appeal to armpit fetishists…but who else? Does this make you (or your boyfriend) want to use Axe?

Actually, these ads did get my attention so they must be doing something right. Maybe I have an armpit fetish? Oh dear…..

1. Comment by chrispy on July 14, 2004 11:06 am

theres something very surreal about the armless armpit with the gnome feet. worse yet, the sex kittens they have fondling the armpit gnome are always sooo turned on – maybe the art director fetishes paraplegics???

ive been seeing these ads too in english and european fashion mags, and i wonder if theyre moving more units of this deodorant because of this campaign. the gym was handing out samples of this product recently, and its the most voilently perfumed “deodorant” ive come across.perhaps it was formulated for the non-bathing european (and americans for that matter) community.

there are sooo many messages thisad is sending.

2. Comment by jeff on July 14, 2004 2:23 pm

I’ve had a strong urge to throw the magazine across the room when I’ve seen this ad. It’s just a little too freaky for me.

3. Comment by Scott on July 14, 2004 3:23 pm

I saw this ad yesterday. It’s less the armpit that bothers me but the stubby thing on the end that I think is supposed to be a 3-toed foot. It’s like a typical train wreck, I can’t stop looking at it. Maybe that was the point.

4. Comment by Jen on July 14, 2004 9:24 pm

The hell? I’m scarred now, thanks.

5. Comment by Mery on July 23, 2005 1:31 am

The text was good, but i stil cant find the play ipdates. looking for it dude.

6. Comment by Richard Davis on July 24, 2005 9:53 pm

Nice one, but what about der weg ? anywya, congrats from me.