A Change in Demographics…and a Philly Flashback

First things first – I forgot to mention yesterday that our long lost friend, Peter (from Salem), surprise visited us yesterday afternoon. It was a good to see him – we haven’t seen him since our housewarming party back in February.

Today I went out to get Matt a card and a little something special for our anniversary on Tuesday. As I left our building, I noticed a bus (actually, two) in the newly created land where the old central artery used to be. This area is going to be used for parking and as a staging area for protesters during next week’s Democratic National Convention. As I looked more closely at the name on the bus, I discovered that it said SEPTA…which is the public transit system of Philadelphia (where I was a week ago)! Ah, memories.

Anyway, I boarded the subway and headed to Boston’s South End since I figured a gay anniversary card would be more appropriate than a generic Hallmark. On my way there, I noticed that something unusual was happening. Something I’m not quite familiar with: I was getting checked out.

Now, Matt has been telling me for years that he notices people checking me out on the street but I’ve usually dismissed it because I rarely noticed it myself. Today, though, it was happening quite a bit on the street and in all of the stores (Cuttyhunk, Aunt Sadie’s, Posh, Fresh Eggs, etc…). The interesting thing was the type of person that was checking me out. Apparently, my beard is attracting a new demographic of gay man…

…the bear

Nearly every single man that noticed me appeared to be in his 40’s, balding, hairy-chested and between 250-300 pounds. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…but I find it funny that those “types” never noticed me before (well, that I had ever observed). Anyway, here are two shots I took of myself today on day 10 of fuzziness (one with glasses, one with contact lenses). I’ve not even trimmed it yet – it’s still a work in progress.

1. Comment by matt on July 18, 2004 8:20 pm

Baby, I am sure that others were checking you out too — as they always have! Also, nothing can make a day better than havin’ a hot bear give ya a wink!

2. Comment by Doug on July 18, 2004 9:38 pm

Hey karl….The beard looks great…now you just need to shape it, and keep it WELL trimmed…almost like 5:00 shadow….just a HINT of a beard….otherwise you might give Matt beardburn…..

3. Comment by Underling on July 18, 2004 9:59 pm

But don’t cut it too close…then you run the risk of having that “Miami Vice” look.

The demographic I mostly attract is the slightly overweight 45-60 crowd. They like to leer at me when I’m in the bars and even follow me around at the grocery store…

4. Comment by Will on July 18, 2004 11:07 pm

Definite cub potential–Oh, yeah! 🙂

5. Comment by chrispy on July 19, 2004 9:26 am

remember when i defined the term “Otter” for you in philly? thats the look you seem cultivating, and guess who youre attracting! prepared to be mauled!

i also like the juxtaposition of the 60s NASA scientist glasses with the beard. very art-school cool, or geek-chic.

use the longest attachment on your trimmer to trim it down a bit, and Totally shave the underside of your neck and chin up to your jawline. have matt help you shape the growth if you cant do it on your own. it be more “manicured” than just a full on shaggy dog.

*sigh* no one follows me around anymore…y’all are so lucky to have admirers!

6. Comment by Erica on July 19, 2004 1:50 pm

I need to go upstairs again and see the current state of The Beard myself. Odd, putting it in capitals like that makes me think of the other kind of beards often associated with gay men, bah. No need for that sort for you. Anyway, um, de-tangenting. I agree with whoever said about trimming it so it’s not a neck-beard too. But I have to reserve final judgment until seeing it in person.

And hey, I would rather be checked out by middle-aged bears than the over-60 set who seem to most often hit on me in public. Ew.

7. Comment by Mery on July 23, 2005 2:15 am

The text was good, but i stil cant find the play ipdates. looking for it dude.

8. Comment by Peter Jackson on July 23, 2005 9:05 pm

A heap of wheat, says the Song of Songs
    but I’ve never seen wheat in a pile 🙂
    did you like it?

9. Comment by Richard Davis on July 24, 2005 10:48 pm

Nice one, but what about der weg ? anywya, congrats from me.