Sharks, Spleens…and Cake!

I’m heading to Cape Cod after work today to celebrate my Mom’s birthday, my parent’s anniversary, my niece’s birthday and my sister-in-law’s birthday. Phew – in recent years I’ve discovered that September is nearly as expensive and busy as December in terms of parties and get-togethers. Apparently, lots of people have sex around New Years Eve -explaining the birthday’s in September (others include Tom, Ruthie, Candy, Peter, Duncan, Robert, Christopher, Roy and Matt’s Mom).

So, I’m catching the commuter rail at 4:15 and my parents will pick me up near Plymouth an hour later. Then we’ll drive onto the Cape, probably have dinner at Seafood Sam’s, play some cards and go to sleep. Of course, Cape Cod has been in the news quite a bit the past few days – and not for good reasons.

Last week, nine (or more) seniors at Sandwich High School used “Freshman Beat-down Day” to attack a defenseless boy. They ganged up on him and the abuse was so bad that his spleen had to be removed.

Then yesterday, a 16-18 foot great white shark was seen swimming (grazing?) close to shore in Falmouth’s Wood’s Hole area. I guess Steven Spielberg filmed Jaws in this area for a reason.

In conclusion, I’m going to a) be spending 3 days surrounded by my parents, b) on an island surrounded by killer sharks and c) on land surrounded by violent high school students.

yay

1. Comment by Will on September 24, 2004 1:25 pm

Last night on the TV news, a Great Shark Expert assured us that great white sharks, so deadly off Australia’s coasts, are just little pussycats here in New England waters. Uh-huh, I believe that. Really.

2. Comment by thomas on September 24, 2004 10:34 pm

please be careful on your trip, and don’t go swimming in the ocean.

3. Comment by thomas on September 24, 2004 10:34 pm

also, please don’t go into the highschools.

4. Comment by Underling on October 2, 2004 10:32 pm

I’m glad you escaped unscathed…but I would be concerned about the high school kids…they seem to roam in bands these days…I’m sure a group of Boston students are just waiting to strike somewhere.