Home, Sweet Home (tonight, tonight I’m on my way…)

Ah, classic 80’s Motley Crue. I was never a big fan of theirs…but that’s one fine hair-band ballad. Plus, their book was a rather interesting (debauched) read, too.

But that title is more about Matt and me finding new homes. The phone search began yesterday (setting up apointments) and the physical searching could begin as early as tomorrow night, but definitely on Saturday. Matt’s searching in the Back Bay’s “luxury” buildings: Prudential, Church Park, Garrison Square and the Greenhouse (ironically where I lived when we met). He may also consider the Devonshire, which is downtown.

As for me, I’m torn. I’m trying to find the right balance for me. I don’t want cramped spaces or small rooms – but that’s what I’d get if I get a place in Beacon Hill, Back Bay or the North End ($1,300 for 350 square feet is not unusual…for a basement unit…overlooking an alley…with steam clanky steam radiators). But I would like some charm (which you can only get in those places). I want to live in Boston proper, and not the surrounding former “street-car suburb” areas like Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, etc… (since I don’t own a car I want to be on a major subway line).

I want air-conditioning, which is something you tend to only find in Boston in luxury apartment towers (like the place Matt’s looking at, plus Charles River Park). On the other hand, I’d love to live in a real neighborhood in the heart of everything (versus apartment community). Then again, Boston proper is such a small area, it would be easy enough to walk to a neighborhood. I also don’t want to pay an extra month’s rent as a broker’s fee (once again, leaning me towards luxury buildings where no brokers are involved). Decisions, decisions.

1. Comment by David on November 17, 2004 11:25 am

Why dont you live at the Ritz, near Johnnyn Damon?

2. Comment by Karl on November 17, 2004 11:33 am

Hey, David! Actually, one of the apartments I’m interested is on the same block as the Ritz! I couldn’t tell from the pictures if it was a basement, though.

But the area is perfect!

3. Comment by Slate on November 17, 2004 12:39 pm

I say you toss a coin – it sounds like your head is too full to make up your mind.

4. Comment by David in Chicago on November 17, 2004 1:01 pm

Those basements are “garden front apartments”, just fyi. It’s still a basement, as far as I’m concerned.

5. Comment by Will on November 18, 2004 8:06 am

I’m told it’s best to stay away from Charles River Park. Troublesome management and rodent infestations every so often. I went to a production meeting there many years ago at the costume decigner’s apartment for one of the Hasty Pudding Shows. The place had all the charm of an undergrounc bunker and the balcony was so small, with such a high wall, that when you sat on one of the chairs out there, you couldn’t see out!

Have you considered Cambridge?

6. Comment by Will on November 18, 2004 8:06 am

Have you considered Cambridge?

7. Comment by Karl on November 18, 2004 10:17 am

Hey, Will. Interesting what you heard about CRP. Matt and Lived there in the past and actually really enjoyed it. We rented a unit in Longfellow Place and it was the best rental I’d ever had (spacious, clean, quiet, safe, convenient).

A few years later we rented at Whittier Place. Our biggest complaint there was that the building controlled when the air-conditioning turned on in the spring (too late for us).

We never had bug/rodent problems. When was your friend there? Is this a recent thing?

8. Comment by Will on November 18, 2004 1:27 pm

This was back in the late 70s and early 80s, Karl, so maybe the conditions have been improved since then. I know he had a lot of problems with the management at the time and although he was a gay designer, he just couldn’t do much with the very square, very dull layout and finishing details of the apartment. I don’t remember what building he was in.