This Charming Man

I did it. Even before reading the advice from my readers, I’ve chosen the “charming” North End apartment. I made this decision last night after creating a pros and cons list for both apartments. The pro list for the North End apartment was the longest…and the con list for the hi-rise apartment was the longest. So, it seemed pretty clear.

I’ve always found it fascinating how many people are anti-luxury building/hi-rise? Why is that? I’ve had the best luck in such apartments: better views, better amenities, larger spaces, laundry on-site. Why are people so against those conveniences? Can’t you take a sterile “box” and make it charming with the right decor?

Anyway, I went back to the North End unit this morning, took measurements and signed papers. If all goes as planned, I’ll be moving in on December 10th…a week after Matt moves into his place. I was pleasantly surprised today to find out that the unit is larger than I had expected. After first viewing it on Saturday, I got home and started dreading that, like most people do, they remember the unit as being better than it actually is. So, I feared that the rooms were smaller than I had thought. I was pleasantly surprised to measure today and find out that the living area is much larger than expected. The living room (including the alcove) is nearly 19 feet long. It’s quite narrow, though…with the main living room width at 12 feet, and the alcove part (where the office will be) at just just under 8 feet.

The sleeping area is about the size I had expected so it’s going to be a tight fit. It’s got an unusually large kitchen (for Boston) – with two large windows (overlooking nothing).

Anyway, exciting stuff. I found out that the person there now (the single white female) has been there for 7 years. And the broker (who could be lying since he is a salesman, afterall) said that if you pay rent on time, the landlord tends not to raise rents for years at a time. WOO HOO

Now I just need furniture.

1. Comment by David on November 22, 2004 1:56 pm

Yeah a place to live!!

2. Comment by jeff on November 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Congrats!

3. Comment by David in Chicago on November 22, 2004 2:57 pm

The safest place: Newton, MA.
    The most dangerous city in America: Camden, NJ.

Oh, and it’s supposed to snow here on Wednesday. So visit anytime soon…you’ll be comfortable.

4. Comment by Erica on November 22, 2004 4:08 pm

I’m glad you got a place! Yay! And that you chose the charm. You have to *live* there, after all. IMHo especially when living alone, charm matters. Your house is your company, after all. It had better be pleasant. Plus you love the North End, and it’d have been sad to see you leave it.

5. Comment by Salina on November 22, 2004 4:13 pm

Fantastico that you’ve found a place! We must’ve had good renters karma this weekend because I just signed a lease yesterday too. The new place is in Huron Village right behind the Harvard Observatory. It’s a two bdr, wall to wall, floor to ceiling built in bookcase in the living room w/ bay windows in two of the rooms. And it takes a dog! Copper will have a new home!

6. Comment by Thom on November 23, 2004 5:53 pm

Congratulations! It sounds great… and furniture shopping can be fun.