A New Man

First off, thanks everybody for your comments yesterday. I wasn’t saying I thought I was fat, I just wanted people’s opinions as to whether that particular photo makes me look larger than I am (read: unflattering). I should probably consider taking some new ones.

Anyway, being newly single has made me realize a few things. I knew that living along was going to force me to become more independent and more secure. I also suspected it would make me more social. One thing I never anticipated was that it would change something completely unrelated: my tolerance for cold temperatures.

Matt and I did not use heat for the past 4 or 5 years. Not once. I’ve been at my new place for only a week and a half and I’ve had to use it numerous times. There are numerous factors coming into play here. First, our previous buildings were modern and better insulated (my current exposed brick walls don’t help). Second, our previous buildings were larger so we benefited from the heat generated in our neighboring units (my apartment building has only one unit per floor with windows on nearly 3 sides). Third, I’ve got nobody to cuddle with to keep warm (being single will do that to you).

So now after 24 hours of temperatures hovering between 3 degrees and 9 degrees, I’m thinking “MMMM – Palm Springs would be nice right now”. That’s not me! I love winter – I hate summer! But all I’m craving right now is to be able to lounge about my apartment in boxer briefs, not layers and layers of clothes.

It’s funny, when I’ve heard people from other places say “I love Boston but I could never live there because of the winters” I used to tell them it’s not that bad. I’d say that you learn to adjust by taking different routes to places*. But when I would say that, I always lived within blocks of a train/subway station and my home was, well, warm. Now I’m seeing things from a whole new perspective.

It’s amazing the things you learn about yourself when going through change.

*For example, while walking through the Back Bay I’d go through the Hynes/Copley/Prudential/Back Bay Station complex which essentially brings you from one end of the neighborhood to the other, or if you go Downtown Crossing there are subway stops practically every few blocks from Chinatown to North Station…some even connected by underground tunnels and going right into stores like Filene’s and Macy’s.

1. Comment by David in Chicago on December 21, 2004 10:44 am

Woohoo for lounging in boxer briefs! What color? I’m partial to black.

2. Comment by Karl on December 21, 2004 10:51 am

Hey, David. Oh, I meant to mention that in my blog. I did go back to H&M to buy the underwear I liked. They are square cut style – it was a 3 pack…and yes, one pair is black!

3. Comment by Doug on December 21, 2004 11:09 am

I think you just need to find one of those North End hotties to snuggle with 🙂

4. Comment by chrispy on December 21, 2004 11:27 am

errrm,

if boston winters arent “so bad”, then why do you have all these secret INDOOR routes to get to from point A to point B. you are avoiding being outdoors by using all these routes to KEEP WARM right?

palm springs, now youre talking!

5. Comment by Will on December 21, 2004 11:28 am

Change can be a killer or a great opportunity. I’ve tried my best to look at times of change as highly creative. It can be tough but I think I’ve kept myself out of trouble that way. Take care, Karl, and think positive.

6. Comment by karyn on December 21, 2004 11:29 am

Underground tunnels leading directly to Filene’s and Macy’s? I’m getting my shovel, I want in.

7. Comment by Erica on December 21, 2004 11:48 am

Dude, I am freezing *indoors* in my office right now. I still love Boston, but damn. We need to invent some super-insulation or something.

8. Comment by John on December 21, 2004 6:34 pm

You can lounge in your undies – just crank the heat up to 80.

We adapt to anything. When I lived in Boston I thought it wasn’t bad. Now I’m bitching when it gets down to 40 in Houston. It doesn’t take long to get used to being warmer.

(It’s 71 today though.)

9. Comment by Karl on December 21, 2004 8:00 pm

Hey, John! A co-worker of mine (originally from Houston, but moved here 3 years ago) is heading down there tomorrow. Her mother told her that it was 71 today…but there could be snow on Friday (which is rare).

Meanwhile, our Christmas in Boston is supposed to be in the 50’s. Go figure.

10. Comment by Robert on December 21, 2004 9:29 pm

No matter how cold it gets, make sure you keep your heart ‘warm’! 🙂

11. Comment by Anelia on September 2, 2005 2:05 am

Your blog is very interesint

12. Comment by Flying Game on September 7, 2005 12:00 pm

Flying Magazine

13. Comment by Home Based Business on September 15, 2005 9:07 am

Business Search

14. Comment by Ring Roller Skating on September 20, 2005 12:28 pm

Power Skating

15. Comment by Lyon Hotels on January 27, 2006 8:06 pm

Cancun Hotels

16. Comment by Kim on May 10, 2006 5:05 pm

Kim…

Looks like your page was heavily hit by spam…

17. Comment by Avatars on May 11, 2006 8:18 am

Avatars…

Avatars, free avatars, anime avatars, msn avatars, yahoo avatars, animated avatars, neopet avatars, avatar…