Inappropriate Songs

No, I’m not talking about the latest song by Eminem or 50 Cent (or, as I believe the young whipper snappers are calling him, Fitty-Cent). Nope, I’m talking about singing Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindoor incessently! I can’t stop it, either. And I can’t blame the snowy weather because I’ve been humming that damn song (among other holiday classics) for days.

Maybe it’s because I never really celebrated Christmas this year and I’m just now getting into the spirit? Or maybe I’m just a freak. But it is becoming a bit unsettling. Especially since there are over 350 days until the actual holiday.

I guess it could be worse – I could have the Macarena stuck in my head.

And speaking of inappropriate songs, I think that “Jesus Loves Me’ is an inappropriate song for children. I mean, the first lines are “Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so.” Should we really be instructing our children to believe everything they read? What if the bible told them to jump off a bridge – should they?

I’ll never forget in 9th grade social studies class when we were being taught about the difference between conformity and nonconformity. The teacher asked which we should be and a religious student’s hand went right up and said that we should all be conformists. The teacher tried explaining otherwise, but she wouldn’t budge. Sad.

1. Comment by karyn on January 6, 2005 1:18 pm

Yike, who was THAT? Did I know this citizen? If it helps, I’ve been singing that blasted “LET IT SNOW” song for weeks, despite my inherent loathing of ice & driving in the stuff. Walking in it too for that matter. And, if you think that’s not so bad, I remind you that I have a broad range of songs stuck on Auto Play in my head which have their origin on children’s television. These include Victor Vito, I’ve Got A Song In My Tummy, We Are The Dinosaurs and Buzz Buzz. Rudolph is a particularly tough one to shake, I’ll give you that, but you’re not alone. 🙂

And no, nobody should believe everything they read, particularly books which give us instructions on the proper way to treat slaves and beat wives. Not that I’m wholly anti-bible, or anti-religion, I’m just saying, the book could use a good updating.

2. Comment by Chad (a.k.a. Firecrotch) on January 6, 2005 1:48 pm

I am not sure if my last post was added. Well anyhow who was this girl? What has become of her? Do you still know her? Maybe she conformed with that David Karesh guy in Waco, TX and now what does she have to show for her life?

In refrence to the Christmas song, I have been singing “It’s Christmas” over and over in my head. But your right at least I don’t have MC Hammer’s Too Legit to Quit stuck in my head.

3. Comment by Chad (a.k.a. Firecrotch) on January 6, 2005 1:48 pm

4. Comment by Karl on January 6, 2005 1:51 pm

OH NO, Chad! Now I’m going to have MC Hammer’s crap stuck in my head! That’s much worse than Christmas music!

5. Comment by Chad (a.k.a. Firecrotch) on January 6, 2005 1:53 pm

So which part do you have stuck in your head right now? The too legit to quit that repaets over and over? Or the high pitched Heaay Heaay emitted from his back vocalits?

6. Comment by Will on January 6, 2005 2:02 pm

Hey, Karl, I now know that one of the nicest things about lunch yesterday was that you DIDN’T hum “Rudolph” at any time!

My downfall is “Little Drummer Boy.” Not only do I hate that sappy song, I always manage to get trapped in a store or elevator when it comes on and then its rum-pum-pumming in my head for days.

7. Comment by Erica on January 6, 2005 5:13 pm

You. Are. Evil.
    *hums Macarena*

Is there an actual song called Jesus Loves Me that’s different from the Ballad of Mary Magdalene? Cos that one’s the only one I know that has those lyrics. This is what I get for being Jewish I guess… 😀

8. Comment by karyn on January 6, 2005 5:22 pm

Firecrotch? Really?

William is now soul brother number one and loves Barry White and Beyonce. Don’t ask. Recessive gene maybe? And he loves the Macarena. Only I have to sing stupid lyrics to its tune to get him to eat, such as:
    Yummy in the tummy put the squash into your tummy,
    You’re a silly baby and I’m your tired mummy
    Squash is so yummy put the squash into your tummy
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII AM YOUR MUMMY! Aiiiiiight.

PA-thetic.

9. Comment by karyn on January 6, 2005 5:23 pm

AND, AND AND AND, I submit that that G.D. Mo Fo bloody blasted misery of a song “Santa Baby” is on in every G.D. Mo Fo bloody blasted misery of a shop during the holiday season and it makes me want to rip my ears from my head and pelt them at the managers for playing that insipid pap.

I’d rather rum pum pum.

10. Comment by Will on January 7, 2005 9:00 am

ARRRRRRRRGH! Karyn, now you’ve done it–I’m a-rum-pum-pumming in my head and can’t stop.