“You’ve Got A Friend”

Last night I met up with an old high school friend for dinner. Her name is Catherine* (but we called her Cookie) and we actually met in high school under bizarre circumstances: I was a sophomore and she was a freshman. Meanwhile, my brother, a senior, had a bit of a crush on her (but she wasn’t interested in him). Fast-forward two years to when I was a senior: she developed a crush on me at the same time as another girl, Jessie. Well, at the urging of my best friend, I chose Jessie over Catherine because my best friend thought Catherine was a bad influence (which she wasn’t).

Now fast forward 15 years (ugh, I’m old) and Catherine and I are still in touch. Throughout those 15 years we have gone through phases where we get together more frequently than others. Unfortunately, the past two years were ones where we didn’t see each other. Anyway, we met up to eat at the Museum of Fine Arts and she looked great. Apparently, life is treating her well. Since I last saw her, she and her husband had a baby and built a house in the suburbs, she bought herself a Volvo station-wagon (I smell a soccer-mom when her baby boy grows up), and she was promoted from Assistant Director to Director at her job. She looked and sounded great – I was quite happy for her.

We had a great time reminiscing about the old days and catching up on what we’ve been up to the past few years. I’m hoping we’re in the beginning stages of having frequent contact again.

After dinner, I met up with Rich (the college he teaches at is practically next door to the museum) and then we came back to my place to watch DVD’s and, um, stuff.

All in all, it was a great night. You may, or may not, have noticed that I’m blogging later in the day today (Thursday) than I normally do. Well, that’s because we closed on the sale of our condo today and there were some complications (don’t worry – everything worked out). But I’ll blog about that Friday.

*Funny story about Cookie. Back during senior year of high school (as she developed her crush on me) she got a job with me at Orange Julius in the Cape Cod Mall. One day, while playing around in the backroom I found this odd looking brush. It looked like a hair brush but it was just 10 times the size. I’d worked there for 4 years at that point and never saw it in use so I figured it was nothing important. Well, when Cookie walked into the back…and before she knew what was happening…I started brushing her hair with it.

She then screamed upon realizing that it was a toilet bowl brush for the bathrooms. I had no clue. To this day she never ceases to remind me about that when we see each other. Some people are so sensitive.

1. Comment by Erica on February 4, 2005 11:18 am

Three cheers for the umstuff!

And, eeeeew, you didn’t know it was a toilet brush? I’d have run home to shower right away, I think.

2. Comment by chrispy on February 4, 2005 11:38 am

that story is so N’ASS-TEE!

i nearly spat out my breakfast when i read that! yeck! how did you not know it was a toilet brush?

“um, stuff” ???

how faux-coy! why dont you just say “he was digging my backside out” or “he was playing ball in my rumpus room”. but im very glad youre getting some!

OH! and to all karls readers:

dont YOU want to see a pic of karl in that ORANGE JULIUS uniform. i think that would be KILLER!

3. Comment by Karl on February 4, 2005 11:40 am

As a matter of fact, I do have photos of me in my Orange Julius uniform. Fortunately, I have none of me in the early 80’s polyester uniform (they upgraded a few weeks after I started). In latter years, it was a beige polo shirt with a green (polyester) apron. I screamed style.

4. Comment by Phany on August 24, 2005 1:45 pm

You are the best. Thank you http://www.bignews.com