Over the Rainbow, Over the Edge

We held a memorial service for Regina today at work (we’re also working on an official memorial for the community at large for April). But a small group of us got together yesterday to plan it out and it was quite nice. It was held on campus and I would guess that between 40-50 (or more) co-workers came by to remember. In fact, there were even some student faces there, too.

I stood in back with Larry (Regina’s brother) while a few people shared a few words. While preparing the memorial, I was asked to speak but knew I couldn’t get but two syllables out before breaking down so I declined. So our friend, Brad, more or less MC’d the memorial and did a great job. I handled myself really well until he started talking about how shortly after Regina died, the 6 of us (Brad, Ben, Erica, Larry, Denise and me) went outside with the balloons from her room and released them into the night sky. All of the balloons stayed in a batch for a while except for one stray balloon that started heading eastward – towards the law school where we all worked. Then all of the other balloons followed.

That was it…that was all I could take. Apparently, I wasn’t alone because Larry started along with me.

Then, to make matters worse, Ben sang “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” (Regina’s favorite song) with Brad accompanying on piano. At that point – half the room lost it. I was choking up, but I was doing fine until another close friend, Salina, saw me starting to lose it. She turned around and started hugging me…and then it just all came out – I couldn’t hold it in any longer. Of course, that set Larry off, too. It was quite touching.

Afterwards, Ben, Brad, and I went to lunch with Larry. The conversation became relaxed and we were all laughing and enjoying ourselves. At one point, Brad was telling a story and Larry was listening intently. While Brad was talking, Ben and I looked to the side and saw a hunky little law student walk by. We were both following him with our eyes until we realized that we were both following the same guy. Ben and I gave each other a subtle, knowing smile and then joined back into the conversation.

It was a fun little moment that we both needed…and Regina would have loved.

1 Comment(s)

1. Comment by karyn on March 3, 2005 5:55 pm

Take those moments of levity where you can, Karl. They are important; they can sustain you. XXOO