Random Thoughts (AKA Kvetching)

There are so many things running through my fragile little mind that I don’t know where to begin:

1 – Why do people rush to get into the subway train or onto an escalator…only to stop once they get there (blocking traffic). This morning I was heading toward an escalator and these two middle-age people (a couple?) bolted in front of me and then just stood side-by-side on the escalator – blocking traffic from above. Of course, a train pulled away from the platform the second I got off the escalator (which I could have caught had I been able to walk down the escalator like a normal person). Then, when a train arrived, this 20-something guy rushed in front of me to get onto the train. Then he stopped in the doorway! WTF? If you must be the first to get on the train, move into the freakin’ car!

2 – I’m so sick of rich people bitching about their mansions collapsing into the ocean. You know what? Don’t build your mansion on a soft clay bluff overlooking the mighty Atlantic. Apparently, there are numerous areas on Cape Cod and the islands where irresponsible development by greedy rich people has caused them to lose up to 60 feet of beach as a result of the rising sea level and heavy storm activity. The news showed this couple that owns 3 waterfront lots with big houses on them and they’re all in danger of falling into the ocean. One person interviewed said he didn’t except to have to move his house back until at least 2022. Too bad. Instead of spending your money on stupid property choices, why don’t you take some classes and develop some intelligence and learn not build in vulnerable places? And don’t even THINK of get tax-payer sympathy for your stupidity. Some people are wanting their town/city/state/federal government to build a sea wall in front of their properties to protect them. Ugh – don’t get me started.

3 – I was reading the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly over the weekend and the cover story was about the fall of Miramax and it’s partnership with Disney. The article made Disney CEO, Michael Eisner, come off as the biggest egotistical jackass you can imagine. I mean, I’d always heard negative things about him in little blurbs over the past decade or so – but never a cover story like this. I started thinking to myself: “Gee, I wonder if this article will prompt stockholders to finally get rid of that embarrassment.”  Lo and behold, the news this morning reported that he’s on his way out.

4 – Well, depsite snow and freezing rain over the weekend (and a current temperature of only 32 degrees) I can tell that spring is on the way. The Granola from God people I posted about last spring have reappeared. A cute looking young guy stood outside the Harvard subway station this morning and greeted me with a smile and a Quaker Chewy Granola Bar (chocolate chip, no less!). I still don’t understand the connection between granola and God…there must be other things they could distribute. I still love the little card they give with the granola that reads: “We hope this small gift brightens your day. It’s a simple way of saying that God loves you.” Yes, the only way I know a God could love is by proving it with granola distribution.

5 – Apparently, my office is the portal to death. I share my office with one other person. Actually, two people since there is a separate faculty member office you can only access through this suite. Anyway, my friend, Regina died two weeks ago. Then my officemate’s father died last night. So, I’m expecting somebody close to the faculty member to die in the near future, too. Actually, she knows the Pope personally (long story…don’t get me started on that, either) and considering his failing health, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s him. Yep – you read it hear first. That’s my prediction.

So there are my Monday morning ramblings (and even one prediction)!

1. Comment by Scott on March 14, 2005 11:55 am

what an interesting sign of spring. LOL here in tampa…we can tell spring has arrived by the spring breakers clogging the streets and falling from balconies. although i do appreciate the population control, i think i’d prefer the chocolate chips. 🙂

2. Comment by Erica on March 14, 2005 12:12 pm

Re #5, I’m assuming S isn’t in today then? Think we could scrape together a good group sympathy card? (Where does one buy cards round her anyway?) Was it sudden? I want to let her know folks are thinking of her…

3. Comment by jeff on March 14, 2005 1:05 pm

I don’t need headlights on the drive in or out – that’s my sign of spring…Now I can break out the spring jackets.

4. Comment by David on March 14, 2005 1:16 pm

Ken……..
    You sound cranky brotha……….

5. Comment by David on March 14, 2005 1:28 pm

Who the hell is Ken?
    I just got reprimanded.
    Sory Karl……..
    Please please please ppppppppppppppppllllllllleeeeeeeeaaassssssseeeeeee forgive me?

6. Comment by David in Chicago on March 15, 2005 1:14 pm

Quaker Chewy Granola Bars contain high fructose corn syrup (aka “devil juice”). Somehow I doubt that any divine spirit/manifestation would put hfcs in a snack. I’d tell the granola boy so, too.

7. Comment by David in Chicago on March 15, 2005 1:24 pm

I forgot about the “enter and stop”. People do that while driving all the time…they turn into a parking lot and come to a dead stop right in the entrance, so when you are trying to get in there after them you end up now blocking traffic. People are stupid. (oooh…I’m a touch cranky, too, I guess.)

8. Comment by Mery on August 19, 2005 4:32 am

Your site is realy very interesting. http://www.bignews.com

9. Comment by Military Hat on September 7, 2005 10:45 am

Chef Hat

10. Comment by Locksmith Tool on September 15, 2005 2:12 pm

Locksmith Los Angeles