Spring is in the Air

How pathetic is it that it reached around 40 degrees and I’m finding it all balmy and spring-like..despite the fact that no grass is visible beneath the healthy coat of snow? My friend from Arizona, Lee, arrived in Boston yesterday afternoon and last night we went to dinner at Anthem (in the Bulfinch Triangle). His hotel was just a block away but he was absolutely freezing the entire time. Meanwhile, I was thinking how comfortable it was that the weather finally didn’t warrant a scarf, ear muffs and gloves. Hell, I even down-graded from my heavy p-coat to a thin leather jacket (thanks Chris and Patrick)!

Anyway, we had a great dinner and conversation. He’s staying at the new Bulfinch Hotel which took over the building formerly occupied by the 119 Merrimac gay bar. Back then, the entire building was abandoned and boarded up for decades except for the first floor’s dark and nasty little leather and hustler cruise bar. But, as it seems with everything in Boston, the building was purchased, rehabilitated, and converted into a trendy little hotel. It reminded me of the place I stayed in Chelsea (NYC) around Christmas time. Upon entering the hotel, I was pleased to feel a fairly strong gay vibe (mostly because the clerk and two male guests were gay*).

He’s transferring to the John Jeffries House tomorrow (which was originally built nearly 100 years ago to house the nurses and servants of the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary). I’m sure that place will have a completely different vibe.

*The gay people in the hotel even smiled at me! Gee, this goes against everything I wrote about in my blog a few days ago. Then again, this is a hotel so these people were likely out-of-towners in the first place! LOL

1. Comment by David on March 15, 2005 2:00 pm

Karl.
    Don’t be negative. Of course gay guys are going to smile at you. Why wouldn’t they.
    And for cryin’ out loud please change the pic on OIB.
    ;P

2. Comment by chrispy on March 15, 2005 2:34 pm

karl, do you need a new set of Glama-shots done?

3. Comment by jeff on March 16, 2005 9:40 am

I just broke out the spring jackets…

4. Comment by alyssa on March 16, 2005 11:43 pm

Okay – I agree. Is it wrong that I just want to wear my cute spring jacket?

I was just thinking I need to sked a pedi and dig out some sandals. Because as soon as it it hits 50 – look out. I’m exposing a toe.

But my related question – have you noticed a weird Spring thaw smell? I got in the car this morning and was hit by this strong – organic smell… like maybe the rotting leaves under the snow are peaking through or something….

This used to happen during the big winter thaw in Chicago.

I totally need to stop telling the Internet about how much stuff I smell every day.