Rainy Days and Mondays

Oh, Karen – if only you’d eaten a few cheeseburgers you’d have been able to enjoy today’s weather. It’s a perfect representation of your song.  But alas, no.

Actually, I don’t mind rainy days or Mondays. I tend to enjoy stormy weather…and I like my job so I don’t dread returning to work on Monday morning. Plus, with 86.6 inches of snow this winter and all of these early spring rain storms, I’m guessing it’s going to lead to a plush and green spring and summer.

This weekend was fun. I headed down to the Cape to hang out with the parents. Once again, they picked me up at the train station with Dusty. Whenever she sees me for the first time now, she pees herself with excitement. We’ve all learned to accept this so my father takes her on the leash and walks her around the car. Then, when I get off the train, I walk over as she gets all excited. I hold off on picking her up for a few minutes because as she’s prancing and jumping and panting, she’s dribbling all the while. Poor thing – at least she’s cute.

My parents brought me to Seafood Sam’s…again. That seems to be their thing. Well, it seems to be “the thing” for elderly people on Cape Cod to do because every time we go there it’s filled with blue hairs. It’s funny how such places draw such crowds. There always are certain places that attract the elderly (usually with the promise of early-bird specials or senior citizen discounts). Seafood Sam’s has neither of these -but it sure draws them in.

Later on Friday night we played Gin (I kicked their asses). We played again Saturday morning (I came in second) and then went to Wimpy’s for lunch. I worked at Wimpy’s when I was 12 years old as a dishwasher. I look back on those days in shock that I was even allowed to work. I had the evening shift on weekends so I’d work until the restaurant closed at 11PM, then spent the next hour cleaning up. I’d end up walking home alone at midnight at 12 years old. Ah – memories. 

On Sunday, Rich and I worked on cleaning out my friend, Regina’s, condo. We made a pretty good dent, actually. All of her clothes are packed up and ready to go to the Salvation Army, as well as 3 huge containers of vinyl records and 3 equally huge containers of Christmas ornaments.

When we finished at Regina’s, Rich and I had lunch at the 99 Restaurant in Charlestown. Wow. This location is much different than the others ones I’ve been to on Cape Cod or in Salem, MA. Similar to how certain restaurants seem to cater to senior citizens, this restaurant seemed to cater only to Townies. Actually, I felt rather uncomfortable in there and was glad when lunch was over and we could leave. It was quite fascinating the difference in people from the North End to Charlestown (which is only a bridge away). Even though Charlestown is a part of Boston, the crowd felt very “bridge and tunnel” (to steal a phrase from NY). The whole time we were in the restaurant I kept remembering that there had been a huge mob-related shoot out in there back in the early 1990’s. Does anybody remember that? Was that the Irish or Italian mob?

1. Comment by karyn on March 28, 2005 11:54 am

Have to guess it was the Italians lovey, because nobody refers to the Irish Mob as the Irish Mob. At least I don’t think they do. Seafood Sam’s was also hopping likely due to the Easter weekend, a time traditionally given over to mass consumption of seafood versus standard meat & potato fare. Maybe your parents should borrow some Huggies from me the next time you come down and diaper the damn dog. That’s awful! Yecch! How can you let her back in the car with pee-damp fur?

Isn’t it sick to remember how growing up in very provincial villages was and how different it is now? I remember walking to school, by myself, at age six. SIX!!! And working alone until late at night etc. etc., just as you say, before the day of political correctness… ah well.

2. Comment by karyn on March 28, 2005 11:54 am

3. Comment by karyn on March 28, 2005 11:54 am

PS: What’s a townie in Boston-speak?

4. Comment by karyn on March 28, 2005 11:55 am

Yeah, ok, hit submit much??? Sorry about that.

5. Comment by David on March 28, 2005 3:33 pm

Why is Karyn monopolizing?:)

6. Comment by karyn on March 29, 2005 10:13 am

I swear to GOD I only (intentionally) posted twice, why is this happening? WHY LORD WHY? Blame Canada, blame Canada…