Have It Your Way

I’m sure you’ve all heard (and many may have sampled) Burger King’s new breakfast sandwich. Unlike the fast-food breakfast predecessors, the new sandwich is literally a sandwich with a 6 inch loaf of a bread stuffed with two slices of cheese, two omelettes, sausage patties AND 3 strips of bacon. It apparently also contains over 700 calories…more than even Burger King’s signature Whopper sandwich.

Now, personally, I’m curious. This past weekend on our way to clean out Regina’s condo, Rich and I stopped off at McDonald’s since we were running late and needed some sort of food. I never get fast food so their menus always confuse me. We sat in the car at the drive-thru forever as I tried to decipher what things meant. I eventually settled on something on an english muffin with egg and sausage (which Rich explained to me).

But even that greasy little sandwich (and it was little) was rather filling (it came with a hash brown and orange juice, too). I can’t even fathom consuming a huge sandwich like the new one at Burger King in the morning. 

The news on three separate television stations this morning was reporting on the sandwich (and how unhealthy it is). Actually, I’m surprised Burger King even developed this sandwich considering the overly politically-correct climate nowadays when it comes to health. Now that cigarettes are taboo and the courts are through with those cases, I think the focus is going to go to food. McDonald’s has already been sued and that documentary “Super-Size Me” didn’t exactly help the fast food industry.

If anything, I would have expected Burger King to develop a low carb bread/muffin with egg whites and low-fat turkey bacon (or something like that) versus the artery-clogging feast they instead chose to market.

Along with the aroma of bacon, I smell future frivolous law suits*.

*My personal take on things is that businesses should be able to sell whatever they want (the capitalist in me). However, I do think businesses should be socially responsible (the liberal in me) and knowing that our society is becoming so obese, it seems completley irresponsible to market this item. But I am also against those wasteful law suits people are bringing up with the fast food industry (the conservative in me). People need to think for themselves and use logic.

1. Comment by Will on March 29, 2005 11:40 am

You think people need to think for themselves and use logic? Karl, my son, have I been able to teach you NOTHING? People want to be led like sheep and then get to complain about how they have no control over things. Years ago I saw a woman on TV being interviewed about sex education classes coming to her childrens’ school–did she approve? Her answer: “SOMEBODY has to raise my children.” I never forgot this–it simply didn’t occur to her that maybe SHE should raise her children. Such people cannot be trusted with crucial decisions like what to have for breakfast.

2. Comment by Doug on March 29, 2005 1:10 pm

Well…as an Egg McMuffin fan I have always wondered why McD’s or the other fast food joints never came up with a product using Egg Beaters. I love my McMuffins…but I HATE egg yolks…but I suffer through them. I would eat more of them if they were made with Egg Beaters/Turkey Bacon and low fat cheese.

3. Comment by chrispy on March 29, 2005 1:40 pm

all that grease and “food” swirling around in your stomach! and a cup of coffee to wash it down! its like toxin-upon-toxin!.i know people count on having McD’s as a quick breakfast, but that burger king offering seems like a heart attack in a styrofoam box…and as for “people having minds of their own”, thats too dangerous a concept for our society to bear or grasp!

4. Comment by chrispy on March 29, 2005 1:41 pm

what do you all have for breakfast? just wondering?…i have a protein bar and a liter of spring water.

5. Comment by Will on March 29, 2005 4:19 pm

Today’s breakfast: A glass of orange juice, a slice of home-baked toasted bread and a fat-free strawberry-banana yogurt.

6. Comment by Karl on March 29, 2005 4:33 pm

I’m terribly boring. I have the same thing everyday: oatmeal (with a hint of maple syrup for flavor), a banana and orange juice. When I get to the office, I also have a container of Yoplait low-fat blueberry yogurt.

7. Comment by matt on March 29, 2005 5:09 pm

i could eat 5 of those sandwiches. oh, i do love a fast food bkfast. they are selling them because people want them. the masses are stupid.

8. Comment by karyn on March 29, 2005 6:50 pm

Sorry – guilty of loving the McMuffin. They are a pregnant woman’s dream come true – protein upon protein without having to look at, touch, or prepare raw meat or eggs. So having produced a couple of people myself in the past couple years (whom I plan to bring up myself, in case Will is reading), I got hooked on them. It was literally months before I could look at or touch anything raw. Except fruit.

Personally, I find yolks yukky, particularly if they are pooled with mystery liquid or if they aren’t cooked all the way through, leaving them clumpy, wet & runny. It makes me want to puke just thinking of it. And if anyone put turkey bacon on my fast food, I’d revolt faster than you can say arteriosclerosis. Maybe that’s not a good example.

I think business have a right to market and sell whatever they want but it is nauseating that ethics so seldom make it to the end phase of advertising and production. The tobacco industry in particular, because they do things like include vasodilators in their products which means when you inhale, your blood vessels dilate, you take in more nicotine, and develop a greater dependence on a larger amount of the stuff more quickly. Also the sheer absence of conscience when they do things like put cherry or chocolate or mint flavor in their product to entice a younger crowd to smoke, or when they advertise their “phillipmorris.com” website to help adults talk to kids about not smoking — they suggest anti-smoking techniques and language that THEIR research has shown has the opposite effect on kids. That turns my stomach and I find it harder to tolerate than the scum who put Sugar Frosted Chocolate Bombs on the shelves right at the same height as Junior who sits in the shopping cart. But they piss me off too.

Oh well. If the marketing teams and big guns rely on the public to use judgment and free will to make choices which are right for them, well, that’s why they make the big bucks. What’s the saying – nobody ever went broke overestimating the stupidity of the public? Something like that. We’re just weak I think. So depleted that we take comfort and indulgence where we can, be it in a cigarette or a Whopper Breakfast Death sandwich.

Then again, breakfast IS the most important meal of the day and a lot of people skip lunch altogether so maybe they are trying to recoup their losses by offering a ginormous breakfast sandwich.

Oh, I don’t know.

9. Comment by karyn on March 29, 2005 6:51 pm

Sorry. I love yolks. It’s the whites I find yukky.

10. Comment by David in Chicago on March 30, 2005 8:19 am

K, give up the high fructose corn syrup Yoplait. Try the organic yogurt. It’s yummy and natural.

11. Comment by Sofia on August 19, 2005 8:55 am

Thank you for the info. This was very helpful. http://www.bignews.com

12. Comment by Office Furniture Supply on September 7, 2005 8:42 am

Furniture Rental

13. Comment by Computer Virus on September 12, 2005 6:15 am

Computer Virus

14. Comment by Factory Outlet on September 12, 2005 6:30 am

Jewelry Factory

15. Comment by Donny on September 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Thank you for the info!

16. Comment by Internet Explorer 6.0 on September 20, 2005 2:29 pm

Internet Explorer Update

17. Comment by Kissimmee Hotels on January 19, 2006 10:44 pm

Portland Hotels

18. Comment by Los Angeles Hotels on January 23, 2006 9:32 pm

San Antonio Hotels