Childhood Crush Revisted

Being the TV addict that I am, I’m constantly flipping stations to see what I can find. Also being a fan of nostalgia, I tend to gravitate towards shows I used to watch as a kid. Most recently, I’ve stumbled upon the 1970’s series, Good Times. I’ve been watching it fairly regularly for the past few weeks. Unfortunately, these were the latter episodes where the show became hokey and the father had already been killed off. But they recently started airing the original episodes and within the first episode it all starting coming back to me:

I had a childhood crush on John Amos.

He played James Evens, the father. The minute he appeared on camera in that first episode, I remembered how I used to think he was so cute. He had such an amazing smile and expressive eyes. And his character was such a strong, yet sensitive guy (despite his offerings to beat his kids). He was a flawed character, but would do anything for the people he loved. Plus, he filled out those tan cords he wore in every episode very nicely*

I had other crushes back then, too: Natalie Greene from Facts of Life, Rick(y) Schroeder from Silver Spoons, that dark-haired boy that started living with the Romano family on One Day at a Time, Sean Cassidy (not his brother David, like most people) and Isaac and Gopher (from Love Boat).

Even today I tend to be attracted to the less conventional celebrities: Jeremy Piven (from Ellen, and now Entourage), Jason Alexander (Seinfeld), David Cross (stand up and Arrested Development), and Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me and 30 Days).

MMM – just writing about this makes me feel giddy like a school girl. Good Times!

*In modern day sitcoms, you never see a character wear the same outfit more than once (no matter how poor they’re suppoed to be). I think the last character to do that was Roseanne. But in the 70’s, it wasn’t umcommon to see repeat wardrobes. What this because of budgets? Or was it to make it more real? I mean, Carol Brady wore this same gold/brown pantsuit over and over in so many episodes.

1. Comment by Underling on June 15, 2005 12:12 pm

Okay I’m with you on Jeremy Piven, Morgan Spurlock and David Cross. But, Jason Alexander???

Eww. Just plain eww.

😉

2. Comment by chris on June 15, 2005 12:38 pm

ditto on ricky schroeder when he was younger. gil gerard as buck rogers was totally Hot, and (theres so many potential jokes in this one) peter scolari in bosom buddies…and nowadays that paul jr on orange county choppers. mmmm lips! LOL

3. Comment by Karl on June 15, 2005 6:42 pm

OOOOH – I forgot about Peter Scolari. He was also a crush of mine.

4. Comment by Will on June 16, 2005 10:04 am

The young John Stamos, particularly when he hadn’t shaved for a day or so. Oh, my! Greg Evigan from “My Two Dads”–a genuine hunk and my daughters loved the show for obvious reasons.

Malcolm Gets and Eric Lutes from “Caroline in the City.” Two very different types–but I do try to keep an open mind at all times.

5. Comment by Robert on June 17, 2005 11:49 am

O yeah, John Amos, he was good in Mary Tyler Moore Show as well… Mmm, Jeremy Piven, but Jason Alexander as Underling said… Who ARE you? Marisa Tomei?

6. Comment by karyn on June 21, 2005 2:32 pm

Yep, I’m with you on the Ricky Schroeder thing, the Gopher thing, and Shawn Cassidy. I didn’t even know there WAS a David Cassidy. Gopher’s not looking too good these days and I don’t know about Shawn Cassidy, but Rick Schroeder is still pretty cute. He’s no George Clooney (or Costanza in your case, I guess) but still.