Dependabili-T

I rarely write about the MBTA (the “T”), Boston’s public transit system. For the most part, I have no issues with it. Although there are pockets of areas where access is inconveneint, living downtown makes thing incredibly convenient for me. I’m within blocks of 2 Green-line stops, 2 Orange lines stops, the commuter rail, a major bus transfer hub and even the harbor ferries. Overall, I have little room to complain.

But I will.

I want to write about what happened to me last night. I was meeting a friend for dinner at the Cambridgeside Galleria. This place is a 30 minute or so walk from my place (just over the Charles River from my neighborhood). But as I left the house last night to meet my friend, it looked like rain so I figured I’d take public transit. Now, I was fully aware that green line service from North Station to Lechmere (where Cambridgeside Galleria is located) has been temporarily suspended while they complete a new tunnel and viaduct ramp. A shuttle bus service has been created in the meantime to continue getting passengers from Point A to Point B.

As I left my apartment it started to drizzle. Being the good scout that I am, I brought along an umbrella and by the time I got to where the subway would have been, it was pouring. There were no signs indicated the shuttle bus location, so I walked along the green painted line toward the corner of Merrimac and Causway Streets (3 or 4 blocks away) where the shuttle bus stop was the last I went to Cambridgeside. Of course, this convenient painted line disappeared after one block.

As I approached the corner, I saw one of the shuttle busses speed on by. “Oh well”, I thought, “I’ll catch the next one.” I arrived at the corner where the bus stop was and a bus was approaching. “Yay”, I thought. By this time, the rain was coming down in buckets and my sneakers were getting soaked through.

The bus was now stopped (because the traffic light was red and there were 3 or 4 cars in front of it). I waved my little subway pass indicating that I wanted to board the bus. But the fucker wouldn’t open the door. I got right to the door and showed him my pass again and he shook his head no and pointed in front of him. I thought he meant he would pick me up a few feet away by the curb so I backed away and walked toward the intersection. I couldn’t tell where I was supposed to go so I turned to him again and he ANGRILY kept pointing in this direction somewhere. Did I mention this bus was stopped at a stop-light and could just as easily have opened the door for me? Did I also mention that it was pouring rain and I was gettin soaked?

So, I look all around, hoping there would be some sort of sign saying “Green Line Shuttle Stop”…but none existed. There weren’t even the green painted lines on the sidewalk anymore. Then I thought maybe the stop was moved to the other side of the intersection.

Of course, being Boston, this really isn’t a normal intersection. Merrimac Street turns into Martha Road and to get there you have to cross Staniford/Causeway Street, then two traffic islands, then along jersey barriers (installed after 9/11 to protect the Tip O’Neill Federal Building). But by the time I navigated that crazy rush hour traffic mess (a la the video game, Frogger), the bus simply drove by me.

It then stopped yet another “block” away. Apparently, the “convenient” green line shuttle stop is now behind the Tip O’neill Federal Building and the Fleet Center (soon to be TD BankNorth Garden). Yeah – that’s logical. So from the actual subway stop, you have to know enough to walk (without any signage at street level) a few blocks one way, then around to the back side of a federal building – beyond the jersey barriers?

Anyway, I started running to catch up to the bus (he MUST have seen me)..yet by the time I was half way to the back of the building, he drove away. I took a mental note of the bus number and seriously considered calling the MBTA, but decided instead with my favorite AbFab mantra: in with anger, out with love.

Besides, I thought, it’s rush hour – another bus will come by within 5 minutes.

WRONG!

About 15 minutes later another bus arrived and I eventually made it to my destination. Needless to say, I was a bit cranky and probably not the most entertaining dining companion.

Oh, and while I’m at it – I will write about one more gripe with the T. Boston has two major transit hubs. South Station connects Amtrak, the Red line and the commuter rail lines going south. North Station connects Amtrak, the Green line, the Orange line, and commuter rail lines going north and west. Why, oh why, is it that more than half of all Green lines trains stop at Government Center and do not continue to North Station? People, this is a MAJOR transportation hub. ALL trains should go to North Station. Use that station as the turn around point instead of Government Center. It’s so inconvenient that everybody gets off at Gov’t Center, then crams into the few subway cars that go to North Station. I just don’t get it.

1. Comment by Brad on June 23, 2005 12:27 pm

I can only sympathize. This reminds me of a few years back when they changed my bus stop to be from one side of a driveway to another (a distance of about 25 feet). I, and about 3 other people, didn’t know the change had happened and were standing on the “wrong” side of the driveway when the bus pulled up. The driver must have known why there were people congregated on one side of the driveway . . . and how difficult would it have been for him to tell us to come to the other side of the driveway to board the bus? In any case, the driver did nothing except to shut the door and drive away, leaving all 4 of us standing there. The next bus on the schedule was supposed to come in 8 minutes and didn’t. Twenty-five minutes later, 15 of us boarded a crammed bus. I did call and complain, but felt like it was a waste.

2. Comment by JC on June 23, 2005 2:04 pm

This is why I hardly use public transportation anymore. Most of the time, it’s not really a hassle. But those days when it is, man they suck.

3. Comment by chris on June 23, 2005 2:13 pm

why do they call it the “T”?

4. Comment by Karl on June 23, 2005 2:18 pm

It’s lame…”T” stands for Transportation or Transit. Back when much of it was above ground, parts were called the “El”…for elevated (like Chicago). My mom stills calls it that El sometimes.

5. Comment by JC on June 23, 2005 3:07 pm

Is that really what it stands for? I thought it stood for “trolley.” If you look at the old pictures of Tremont St., it looks just like San Francisco’s trolley system.

6. Comment by Karl on June 23, 2005 3:28 pm

I’ve got this book about the T (I know – I’m a geek). And they say that on Tremont Street, before the trains were put underground in the 1800’s, it would often have made things quicker to walk along the roofs of the trains instead of riding them.

7. Comment by JC on June 23, 2005 3:57 pm

LOL…well, I’m not surprised. They weren’t so concerned with jaywalking back then and the streets were pretty crowded. The T probably couldn’t get through. And yes…you are a geek. 🙂 But then again, I read books on French history for fun.

8. Comment by jeff on June 23, 2005 7:43 pm

The simple wonders of the Green line…

I often wonder if all of the competent T operators work on the other lines because the Green line seems to have more than its fair share of problems. Nevermind that it’s about 400 years old and hasn’t been upgraded since it opened.

9. Comment by jeff on June 23, 2005 7:44 pm

The simple wonders of the Green line…

10. Comment by whoever on June 24, 2005 1:08 am

I hate the bus more than anything, trust me. But you know what I also hate? Being pissed off. I find that if I know why things suck, I’m a little bit less angry – so I hope this helps.

Bus drivers, if they’re not right on the curb, can get in major trouble for picking up a passenger. It has something to do with you possibly getting hit by a car. I know, you were at a stoplight, but the driver might’ve been just trying to cover his own ass. Would you want to be held responsible if someone got hit by a car? He sounded irate, no doubt, but just something to keep in mind.

Also, there is some kind of logic behind the North Station/Govt Cneter thing. I think it has something to do with the idea that a bunch of students on the B line probably don’t get off anywhere past Park Street. I forget what exactly. Specific lines (D or E or something) continue and the others don’t. I think.

Anyway, I am sorry you had a crummy day, but something knowing why sometimes makes it a little easier.

11. Comment by Karl on June 24, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks, whoever! Good point (about “rules” preventing them for picking you up at a non-stop). Of course, I seen drivers pick up people at non-stops before…but it probably wasn’t supposed to happen. But it was raining, dammit! he he

12. Comment by whoever on June 24, 2005 11:12 am

No problem. Yeah, some drivers are definitely cool. I had one bus driver stop at a church when they were giving out free cookies and we all got off, got one, and went back on our merry way. If only they were all like that!

13. Comment by matt on June 24, 2005 10:04 pm

mass transit sucks

14. Comment by karyn on June 27, 2005 11:32 am

Yeah, what Matt said.

15. Comment by Erica on June 29, 2005 1:48 pm

Dude, I say write a letter. Just print out this blog post and mail it in. If the T authorities don’t get complaints they never know this stuff is going on.

16. Comment by Erica on June 29, 2005 1:51 pm