File That Under TMI (Too Much Information)

Gassy.

That pretty much describes my condition the past few weeks. You may recall a week or so ago that I got sick when meeting Jason for dinner. Since then, I’ve had periodic problems of a similar nature. I think I figured out the reason last night.

Since it’s summer, I’ve stopped making oatmeal for breakfast and began eating cereal. At the market, I looked at box after box trying to find the one that could replace the fiber source of my oatmeal. The cereal with the most fiber appeared to be Fiber One (by General Mills). I bought it, it tasted good and I figured I was doing my body good.

Well, last night I compared the nutrition information on the box with that of oatmeal…and found that the cereal has more than three times the fiber content of oatmeal. And here I’ve been having heaping bowl fulls of the stuff every morning. I think it may be time to cut back.

In other news – or in not-so-reputable news – our fair governor (or should I say, unfair governor) decided to ride Boston’s subway system yesterday to show that he feels safe on it despite the increased terror alert on mass transit.

First, I’ve never seen a person look so uncomfortable on the subway in my life. In fact, if it wasn’t for the news cameras surrounding him, I’d think he was one of the “suspicious” people I should be looking out for.

Second, it was obvious he is unfamiliar with subway ettiquette because when they showed him on the news last night, the beginning of the footage showed him apologizing to a person before addressing the cameras. From what I could tell he was blocking the door and preventing people from getting on or off the train at the station.

Third, Boston (and most major transit-oriented cities) have a newspaper called the Metro. It’s a transit-oriented (and distributed) newspaper geared towards commuters. So, you’d think the reporters for the paper would have at least a tiny grasp of the subway system. Well, this morning they wrote about Governor Romney’s subway ride by saying that he was chatting with green line riders while riding the train from Park Street to Downtown Crossing. Well, I hate to break to them, but the green line doesn’t serve that route. That would be the red line.

Fourth, funniest of all, going from Park Street to Downtown Crossing is on stop. In fact, it’s only one city block (from Tremont Street to Washington Street. So, the governor’s method of proving the subway is safe was to go one block and then exit the system, presumably to the safety of the heavily-guarded state house just up the hill.

Thanks, governor. I feel better now.

1. Comment by jeff on July 22, 2005 11:05 am

You forgot that when asked how much a T ride would cost, he said it was only a buck and even that he didn’t seem so sure of. Seems he forgot the last fare increase.

And he couldn’t remember the last time he rode the T when he was asked that question.

I just hope he hurries up and runs for president so he’s out of our hair.

2. Comment by Ben on July 22, 2005 11:38 am

Is there a subway that would take him back to Salt Lake City?
    Ben

3. Comment by David on July 22, 2005 11:57 am

Take him to the cave with the magic hat.
    Yike. I’m sure he took a shower in rubbing alcohol after getting off.

4. Comment by J.P. on July 22, 2005 2:31 pm

Someone should have told the Governor to take the green line to the Auditorium stop and let him figure out where that was!

5. Comment by karyn on July 22, 2005 10:07 pm

I’m with Ben.

And you should indeed say Unfair Governor. Romney IS one of those suspicious people you’re supposed to watch out for, at least if you value your health care or your job. Karl, do you reckon he was more uncomfortable on ye olde T than I was? That is saying something. Maybe he was afraid the jostling ride would loosen one of his gigantic, day-glo, chiclet teeth or cause one of his oiled, combed-within-an-inch-of-its-life, snidley whiplash hairs to move. Freak.

And as to your cereal? Didn’t you start off saying you were comparing the fiber content of your oatmeal to everything else (#64 strikes again)? Jesus Karl! A guy with what I can only surmise to be a a scathing case of I.B.S. should not be eating cereal which is the dietetic equivalent of a dynamite + WD40 cocktail. Good grief.

6. Comment by scott on July 25, 2005 8:17 am

hey handsome, when are you going to grace me again by logging onto yahooIM!

scott

7. Comment by David on July 25, 2005 11:48 am

Oh, Karl as your friendly neighborhood pharmacist, you might want to try phayzyme or its cvs equivalent…….

8. Comment by Dennis on July 25, 2005 2:27 pm

Hello Karl,
    You may not remember me , but I am Dennis from Knoxville, TN. WE talked (briefly) a few months back. Just wanted to send an email to let you know, I have been an avid reader of your blog since we started chatting, ups and downs I am always entertained and have become a true fan! Keep up the great work, I look forward to the next entry!

9. Comment by Dennis on July 25, 2005 2:28 pm

sorry , the email aady is dwatson2003@comcast.net..never said i typed well 🙂