All Caught Up

I tried making this weekend as relaxing as possible. I think I managed to do just that while also accomplishing the crap I’d been putting off.

On Friday night, I ignored the world and caught up with the last 5 episodes of Queer as Folk (that my friends, Ben and Brad, have recorded for me…thanks guys!).

Then I met up with my friend, Jason, to see Tim Burton’s “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” Saturday morning (I liked it…though I think the original Gene Wilder version had a better Veruca Salt). We then went to Upper Crust (in Beacon Hill) for lunch before returning to the North End to chat. Later that night, I met up with Rich. We watched Big Brother 6 then walked down the street to enjoy this weekend’s feast (I forget which saint they were celebrating). The waterfront end of Hanover Street was packed with people and a stage where a 50’s doo-wop band in light blue suits sang to the masses. Rich and I managed to bypass all of the food and game vendors and ended up eating at my old affordable stand-by (I always forget the name..it’s at the corner of Hanover and Parmenter Streets….Il Panino, maybe?).

On Sunday, I visited my sister-in-law at Mass General (she’s doing well with her new tubes despite a wee bit of pain – thanks to generous amounts of morphine). Then, after telling him about the beautiful drives I remembered through Hamilton, Wenham and Ipsiwch, Massachusetts, Rich and I hopped in his car for a road trip to the North Shore (granted, these towns are only 20 miles outside of Boston…but it sure feels like you’re a world away).

Anyway, Rich loved every second of it. From the McIntire Historic District in Salem with all of the 17th, 18th and 19th century houses to the winding roads and lake in Wenham, to the federal houses and heavily wooded areas of Hamilton and finally the farms and salt marshes of Ipswich. In fact, he said it nearly brought him to tears to realize there was this much nature and rural life so close to Boston (he’s originally from Chicago).

We stopped by Russell Orchards where he got some berries, corn and honey (all grown/made on site). And in Beverly, we stopped at a Dairy Queen where he exposed me to my first Blizzard (yum).

In between Saturday and Sunday’s drive, I also managed to tackle a bunch of errands that I’d been avoiding: washing 2 loads of laundry, purchasing a microwave, grocery shopping.

AHHHH – I need more weekends like this. Productive, relaxing, reasonably social, and with cool temperatures (for summer).

1. Comment by Will on August 1, 2005 12:07 pm

Hmmmmm–Rich is exposing you in public?–sounds like things are getting serious. 🙂

2. Comment by Candy on August 1, 2005 1:20 pm

I have all of QAF season 5 (except the last one, of course) to catch up on this coming week, my friend, Linda records them for me! 🙂
    C.

3. Comment by David on August 1, 2005 1:23 pm

You’ve never had a Blizzard?
    So as will says if Rich exposed you to one in public, was there shrinkage, due to the cold?

4. Comment by karyn on August 1, 2005 7:59 pm

Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Can’t improve on David’s post….haaaahahahhahaa….

5. Comment by karyn on August 1, 2005 7:59 pm

6. Comment by matt on August 1, 2005 10:32 pm

Karl — my brother first “exposed” you to the DQ Blizzard back when you visited Beaumont. Did you forever block that trip from your mind? LOL! Remember, you were upset that the DQ “girls” had to hold the Blizzard upside down before handing it to you?!?!??

sigh. how soon we forget.

7. Comment by Ben on August 2, 2005 12:23 pm

Whether that was your first Blizzard or not, you shouldn’t have gone so long without them!
    Ben