Simple Observations

As I was walking into work this morning I saw the catering staff preparing for today’s annual staff picnic. This it my fifth summer at Harvard and will be the first time I’ve been able to attend (since I was usually on the Cape this week). Consequently, I’ve never seen what it’s like, but based on the preparations, it seems like Harvard goes all out. I mean, when I think summer picnic, I think of box lunches, perhaps some volleyball and blankets on the grass. At Harvard, summer picnic apparently means banquet tables in the yard, with cotton table clothes and napkins with a catering staff in black pants, white shirts and bow ties. I’m not going to complain…it’s free!

Yesterday, I had a wonderful lunch with Will (of designerblog fame) at Cambridge Common. MMMMM – curly fries. I got to hear all about his trip to Europe and we’re going to try to get together for dinner sometime soon so I can meet his husband, Fritz.

Last night I tried converting yet another person to the magic that is Big Brother. I think I’m on a losing streak. I first shared the experience with Rich who has become equally addicted. Last week, I gave Keith the opportunity to watch Eric (from Boston) get booted. He seemed less than impressed. Last night, I lured Jason into the world of Big Brother. He didn’t hate it, but I sense he doesn’t have an addictive personality. Though, in Big Brother’s defense, it is more difficult to get into the show in the middle of the game since you don’t know the contestant’s personalities and alliances.

Finally, and most importantly, why is it that printers can’t accomodate a full ream of paper? I mean, every desk printer I’ve ever had could have been designed to be a half inch taller so the entire ream could be placed in there. So why is it that they don’t make the paper trays larger?

1. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on August 3, 2005 11:01 am

Karl, if there’s a discussion of reaming in your blog, I think it should be a big more juicy than that. ;-p

2. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on August 3, 2005 11:07 am

Er, make that “bit”, not “big”. I must have been thinking of something else…

3. Comment by Underling on August 3, 2005 10:03 pm

I’ve never been able to watch Big Brother. My older sister is a hardened addict, and she’s tried multiple times to get me to watch it. I just can’t seem to last through an entire episode.

4. Comment by karyn on August 4, 2005 8:30 am

They do it just to make you crazy, Karl. It’s alllllllll about you. ;-D ~k

5. Comment by Brad on August 4, 2005 2:30 pm

Skip the disucssion of big brother 🙂 . . . I, too, want to know why we can’t put a full ream of paper in the printer!!