Summer Sweaters

No, I’m not talking about people who sweat a lot in the summer (which would include me). I’m talking about the article of clothing called a sweater. As I was walking to work this morning a man walked by me wearing what appeared to be a summer sweater. Essentially, it was a standard sweater but with short sleeves.

What’s the point?

I mean, during today’s morning commute it was already 76 degrees and humid outside. The temperatures are expected to approach 90 by the afternoon. I suppose if his office cranked the air-conditioning he might want the sweater for warmth. But there are still no sleeves to it so I don’t see how this article of clothing would solve that problem. If anything, it would make sense to just keep a sweater in the office.

It also looked rather silly. I mean, the only person who has ever been able to pull off the non-winter sweater ensemble was Matthew Broderick as Ferris Bueller – and that was a button-up sweater vest with white t-shirt. That look worked on him…as he played a high school student…in the mid 1980’s.

But fast forward nearly two decades, and increase the age of the man I saw this morning to his early 40’s and it didn’t quite work.

I don’t know – perhaps I’m not judging his fashion so much as I’m simply jealous that he doesn’t appear to be as affected by the heat and humidity as I am.

1. Comment by Underling on August 10, 2005 11:19 am

I have to agree with you here. That just sounds ridiculous. Who would buy a short sleeved sweater?

2. Comment by Ben on August 10, 2005 11:51 am

It’s as ridiculous as sandals and socks.
    Ben

3. Comment by chrispy on August 10, 2005 11:55 am

dont get me started, queens

4. Comment by David on August 10, 2005 1:15 pm

what’s this world coming too?

5. Comment by JC on August 10, 2005 2:32 pm

Well, really, once you pass 30 doesn’t your mind start to go? 🙂

6. Comment by karyn on August 11, 2005 9:11 am

I’m with you. Looks bad, makes no sense. Boo, hiss.