Are These People Really That Stupid?

Okay. I normally don’t post twice in one day, but I was reading the Boston Globe on-line and stumbled upon an article including the most idiotic quote fathomable. I just had to write about it.

It was in an article about the swans in Boston’s historic Public Garden. The city has two swans, Romeo and Juliet, that take residence in the park’s pond. It was recently confirmed that both swans are female…and, as swans do, they formed a long-term relationship. In this case, a same-sex relationship.

A 15 year old tourist from New York said something sweet: “”If these two swans are happy together, they shouldn’t have to have a guy. It’s good to have the swans as a symbol of the acceptance in Massachusetts.”

But then Brian Camenker, the idiot director of the Article 8 Alliance, (an anti-gay marriage group) was quoted as saying: “I think this proves that there’s something in the environment in Massachusetts. Maybe it’s the water that’s causing all this lunacy.” Granted, he said it partially in jest.

But don’t these people realize that if this is happenining in the animal world – without the promotion by a liberal media to make it an “acceptable lifestyle” – then it is, in fact, a natural occurance and not against nature?

1. Comment by karyn on August 12, 2005 1:04 pm

I think you should post twice in one day, every day. 🙂

Some people just don’t get it.

2. Comment by karyn on August 12, 2005 1:04 pm

I guess some people just don’t get it.

3. Comment by karyn on August 12, 2005 1:05 pm

DAMMIT!

4. Comment by Karl on August 12, 2005 1:05 pm

I agree with you, Karyn! I mean, you always seem to post twice here, too! hehe

5. Comment by David on August 12, 2005 4:53 pm

You should check out “And Tango Makes Three”
    a kids book about the 2 gay male penquins in a NYC zoo…..

6. Comment by matt on August 14, 2005 2:57 pm

People are limited. They are so scared of anything which they don’t “know” or “understand” —- logic goes out the window and is replaced with stupidity. I mean look at the crap about evolution. It is easier to accept that our Creator did it all in 7 days, a snake speaking to a woman so that she is responsible for the fall from grace and the accepted concept of an ark carrying two of every animal —- these simple solutions/fairy tales make it easier for some people to get thru life.

Sad.

7. Comment by JC on August 15, 2005 11:04 am

I think it’s harder to accept those things than it is to accept an explanation like evolution, especially in today’s culture. Having faith is not an easy thing to achieve, ask any serious religious person. The problem arises when faith is made to be “a simple explanation.” It’s made into something rigidly dogmatic and causes people not to think about their faith. Inflexibility is essential to any hard-line movement: fascism, communism, Christian fundamentalism, and militant Islam.