Smokin’ (Not So Much)

Well, I’m on Cape Cod. My parents left this morning so it’s just me and the hairball with a tongue (that would be Dusty the Shih Tzu). I don’t really have anything to talk about. I had intended to go on line to check email only. But then the speed of things prompted me to piss and moan for a moment. And with nobody else in the house to complain to, I’m blogging instead!

My parents have DSL through Verizon. This message is to consumers out there: DO NOT GET DSL! Unless there’s something wrong with my parents service, it simply does not feel much faster than dial-up. I keep seeing these ads on TV for Verizon DSL and how it compares to cable internet access and now have concluded it’s a bunch of lies.

And I can’t believe it’s because of my parents’ computer because it’s less than a year old. But it takes ages for a webpage to open up. Hell, I’m reading magazines while waiting for websites with photos to open. OY VEY.

On a side note (I guess I do have something to write about), I was watching TV this morning and saw one of those Phillip Morris commercials. Could somebody please explain to me the purpose of thse commercials?

I mean, are they required to do these commercials as part of the smoking law suits/settlements? I can’t imagine they’d do them by choice. How many corporations willingly place advertisements that essentially request that you NOT use their product.

On the other hand, any exposure is better than no exposure at all. So if these ads are required because of the settlements, I think they’re having the opposite effect. I don’t sit by the television thinking of cigarettes. But if you put an ad on TV mentioning cigarettes (even if you’re telling me not to use them) it’s putting their product into my head. As a non-smoker, it doesn’t lure me at all. But as a person who recently quit smoking, or as a kid wanting to rebel, I’d imagine these ads would act as an enticement.

1. Comment by matt on August 21, 2005 5:22 am

hug dusty for me.

no such thing as “bad” publicity.

2. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on August 22, 2005 3:02 am

Assuming your parents don’t have an Apple, I’d guess the culprit is spyware that’s dragging down IE & windows. No DSL is THAT slow! Make sure they run Ad-Aware against Spyware, run Zonealarm for firewall, update virus definitions daily (i’m partial to freeware Avast!), and get all critical Windows patches.

And their DSL could really suck. ;-p

3. Comment by karyn on August 22, 2005 4:14 pm

I can actually contribute to the last part of your diatribe here in a partially meaningful way! Yay!

As I out myself as a former narc….

When I worked as a field enforcement agent for the state’s tobacco program, I learned a lot about the tobacco industry and it’s really quite disturbing.

In an attempt to mollify outraged addicts and their families, and yes, I believe as one of the terms of their massive settlement agreements, Philip Morris did agree to run Youth Targeted Anti Smoking ads.

However.

They did unthinkable research into parent / child communication, adolescent rebelliousness, etc., and now very publicly – via tv, print ads, radio – suggest that parents tell their children not to smoke, because “they’ll listen”. Guess what. They suggest using language which in clinical studies results in the opposite outcome indicated. Meaning… if the results of their studies show that saying, “Johnny, don’t smoke.”, results in Johnny smoking, then that is what they recommend you tell your child. If their studies suggest that NOT smoking results in your child not smoking, well , they aren’t going to suggest that you actually act like a good role model.

It. Is. Abhorrent.

Normally I’m not big on the “oh i stuck a screwdriver in my eye, let’s sue the manufacturer” lawsuits. Take responsibility for your actions.

But the tobacco industry has done things that are absolutely unconscionable. They put vasodilators in their “youth target consumer” brands which means that your body takes in more nicotine with each puff. Which means you get hooked on a higher dose of it more quickly. Which means you smoke more. And require more. So you smoke more. Ad nauseum.

Our state in particular has been a pioneer in laws and regulations against youth tobacco sales and tobacco regs in general. Know what? If you are a vendor who stocks and sells tobacco and you get fined for breaking the rules? Some of the larger distributors will actually pay your fines so it’s nothing out of your pocket, just keep selling. Who cares if the kid is 11?

They target areas with schools and recreational facilities for advertising their products. Our children are not safe from this predatory industry which kills off its consumers every year and so looks to the innocent to replace them. It’s disgusting.

Aren’t you glad you asked?

4. Comment by David on August 24, 2005 12:19 pm

Umm Karl…
    I love Verizon DSL!

5. Comment by Donny on September 16, 2005 7:25 am

Just to say hellow!

6. Comment by Kim on May 10, 2006 10:50 pm

Kim…

Looks like your page was heavily hit by spam…