Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

Actually, they’re more random thoughts and observations by me.

First, the water that flooded 80% of New Orleans was highly contaminated. Tests indicated that the water was at least 10 times worse than what is considered safe for humans. Now they’re pumped out the water..but to where? The pumps make it look like it’s just going right back into the lake or the river. I’m no biologist or environmentalist but won’t that just spread the contamination to the rest of the surrounding communities? I suppose some of it will get diluted, but instead of a contained area with the contamination, won’t this just spread the dangerous bacteria into a larger area?

Second, a childhood friend sent me an email this morning describing a dream she had about me last night. Here’s what she said (names and locations have been removed to protect the innocent):

“I was at my old job at XXX and you came in, apparently right off the bus to visit, and you brought me –  – ready? – – a little green styrofoam flat of apricots, wrapped with plastic cling.  When I went home to make my bed (this made perfect sense in the dream of course, as all craziness does) you were lurking in the hallway watching me and scared me half to death and then I asked you to come in and told you you could help me make the bed and you said you couldn’t because XXX might call…and then it veered off into this scary thing with Hugh Lorrie falling almost to his death on the edge of this ring in this spherical structure and then I was back at work at XXX painting my office.”

Um…okay.

Third, I spent a chunk of my evening at the hospital again last night. I was there when the mitochondrial specialist showed up to talk with my sister-in-law about Heather’s condition. Quite frankly, it was, perhaps, the most unpleasant conversation a parent should have to hear. Basically, he was telling her that when people visit Heather, they should expect it to be their last time (so they should say their last good-byes). He said he encouraged her to have anybody she wants to see Heather to come see her as soon as possible. Then he began the discussion of how once she dies (not if, not when…but the more imminent sounding “once”), they will have less than an hour to mourn her death before the pathology department takes the baby away and opens her up to explore the parts of her body affected by the disease (lungs, stomach, intenstines, muscle). The hope is that this will provide information to assist in the treatment of the disease in my sister-in-law, nephew, and my other niece. Needless to say, it wasn’t a fun visit.

Fourth, with all of this going on right now, plus with my trip to Paris in three weeks, I’ve decided not to take classes this semester. I’m just not capable right now of focusing on anything. I feel too overwhelmed to have to maintain a schedule of attending class and then finding time to study. So, unless I take two classes next semester I won’t be able to graduate, because you have only 5 years to complete your degree and my 5 year period ends in the spring. ugh.

Fifth, there are only two episodes left of Big Brother VI. I already sense the withdrawal pains coming on. This has been my one escape during this crappy time. HELP! I need a new distraction!

1. Comment by Doug on September 14, 2005 11:34 am

Karl…I dont know how you are handling all the stuff going on in your life. At least the trials and tribulations of BB6 are keeping you sane. Was April totally OFF her rocker talking to Ivette like that? Blaming her for her actions? It was like she WANTED to get voted out. And damn that Janelle…she is one smart blonde bimbo….LOL. I want Maggie to win..I like her most of all 🙂

2. Comment by David on September 14, 2005 1:30 pm

Well Karl, you could always start watching the both Apprentices with The Martha and The Donald, or Survivor, or the second season of Big Fat Loser, or Wife Swap or the new season of Pimp My Ride.
    Or maybe you could start a new Trend. The reality Blog. Start adding in Video clips…

3. Comment by Brad on September 14, 2005 4:07 pm

i want someone to analyze the dream. i’m no expert, but boy, oh boy, it sounds like some sort of a predicition. 🙂

4. Comment by mindy on September 14, 2005 5:33 pm

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: The Amazing Race.

5. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on September 14, 2005 6:09 pm

Can you get an extension from the university on the degree due to extenuating family circumstances? You’ve had a hellllluva lot going on the last couple years! Yes, this is exactly what reality Tv is good for….eXcape. ;-P

6. Comment by jeff on September 14, 2005 6:11 pm

I think I heard someone say that the expect a lot of the shrimping areas and most of the fish stocks in that part of the gulf to basically die from the contamination. Plus I’m sure in addition to just killing stuff, it’ll settle out into the sediments and make that toxic too.

7. Comment by Ronnie on September 16, 2005 1:40 am

Well I cast my vote for The Apprentice either or but maybe you should go for the Martha Stewart version, lol!!! I am actually hoping she will bitch slap people and scream GET OU!!!!! Could be fun.