We’re on Another List

Just this past summer Massachusetts (particularly the metropolitan Boston area) was listed as the most expensive region in the country in which to live. Real estate prices, energy prices and auto insurance prices all played a factor in that designation.

Yet this week another list came out and placed Massachusetts at the top. This time, however, it’s for good things. Apparently, Massachusetts is the smartest state in the country. (you can read the full article here: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/package.jsp?name=fte/smartstates/smartstates).

I would have suspected that it was because of all of the colleges and universities here, but this study was actually based on public (grade) school educations. Interesting stuff. We’re also surrounded by good company with neighboring Connecticut, Vermont and New York also in the top ten (and New Hampshire and Maine in the top fifteen).

Still it makes me wonder, how smart could we be if we build towns that are protected by 173 year old wooden dams? Is it just me, or is anybody else shocked to realize that most dams in this state are privately owned (and barely inspected)? I mean, how does a single person own something that could essentially wipe out an entire community? What a liability (and, I’d assume, insurance issue). Wouldn’t that individual be responsible for the damage? Hell, if you don’t shovel your sidewalk you can get sued.

Yet now we have the entire downtown area of Taunton evacuated out of fear that this old dam could break at any minute. It’s even making national news. Scary stuff.

At least the water is receding now that the rain has stopped. But with Hurriance Wilma expected to come in this direction on Sunday (after deriorating into just a big wet storm), who knows what we can expect.

Hopefully we’re smart enough to come up with a plan.

1. Comment by JC on October 19, 2005 11:43 am

AND, Connecticut is the wealthiest state in the nation, along with New York and Massachusetts. Plus, we give more per capita to charitable organizations than other states. So, we’re the smartest and the richest, the most generous, and liberal. Not a bad set of values, if you ask me. Take that Bible-thumping red-staters!
    BTW, I downloaded “Feed the Tree” and “Hit” since the last time I was at your place and have been listening to them non-stop. Thank you, oh thank you, for reintroducing such wonderful things to me…

2. Comment by karyn on October 19, 2005 2:28 pm

At least we didn’t build a city below sea-level. What number was Louisiana on that list?

3. Comment by karyn on October 19, 2005 2:28 pm

And no, the greatest liability to our health and well being isn’t privately owned; it was elected into office. Word has it it’s going for the White House. God help us all.

4. Comment by Brad on October 19, 2005 4:30 pm

I agree. I am so frustrated to find out that a creaky old wooden damn is privately-owned and, for lack of proper upkeep, the consequences could be beyond what anyone could imagine. Does this mean if the thing breaks and the whole community is wiped out, the owner should be held responsible for all the damage? I think so. It’s all so incredible. AND I agree with Karyn. Our greatest liability is the one in the White House — along with all his rich, could-care-less buddies.

5. Comment by Jay on October 19, 2005 4:35 pm

“Red-staters.” Yawn. Boring. Come up with something more clever. I continually find it odd and funny that so many so-called blue states or cities have red, red governors: Mitt, Arnold, George…

“Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You’re black.”

6. Comment by Karl on October 19, 2005 4:38 pm

Hey, Jay! Long time, no hear. Good to see you’re still reading!

Though, I must point out that I never compared red vs. blue states in my posting! he he

7. Comment by matt on October 20, 2005 2:25 am

which is the dumbest state? or is that too rude? Alabama?

8. Comment by Jay on October 20, 2005 11:31 am

Karl, I know you didn’t, but JC did in his comments. It’s a tired, old song.