Screw You, Beck! – I’m a WINNER, Baby.

Not that I would ever gloat or anything, but I am proud to say that I kicked Jason’s ass at Rummy last night. You may recall that Jason and I get together every week or two for some fierce Rummy playing (while watching 80’s music videos). Last night, while enjoying some chestnuts such as “Hippie Hippie Shake” by Georgia Satellites (from the Tom Cruise film, Cocktail), Jason and I ate a Karl-style* home-cooked meal and some tasty cannoli while partaking in the Rummy ritual.

I must admit it was close for a while. In fact, he was in the lead after a few hands. But in the end, I distracted him enough by allowing him to watch “Smokey and the Bandit” (for some reason, he loves that movie) so that I ultimately won the game with a nearly 300 point lead (1,005 to 745).

Perhaps now I’ll want to play more frequently since I know I can actually win. Apparently, I just need to plan the evening around the bad 70’s movies he loves.

*Karl-style = not inventive and with limited flavor, yet still reasonably nutritious. I even had all four stove-top burners going! I’ll show you some adventures in gastronomy, baby!

1. Comment by David on November 17, 2005 11:09 am

Woo hoo world!! Karl’s a winner!

2. Comment by JC on November 17, 2005 11:10 am

If that’s your plan, then might I suggest “Xanadu” for next time? If I’m going to lose, it might as well be while singing Olivia Newton-John and ELO tunes.

3. Comment by Will on November 17, 2005 11:13 am

80s musoc videos were the best–inventive, graphically inspired, often surrealistic. The number of theater and opera directors who are prominent currently and who credit 80s MTV videos as a huge influence on their style is enormous. I remember one by The Cars that won awards and set real standards.

4. Comment by Robert on November 17, 2005 11:22 am

Who doesn’t like 80’s music is a moron! heh, j/k! Your evening sounded like lotza fun! Yeah Xanadu would be wonderful… Cheesiest of cheese, but it’s the good cheese!!

5. Comment by Brad on November 17, 2005 11:42 am

You had four burners going, but didn’t tell us what the food was! How cruel you are!

6. Comment by Karl on November 17, 2005 11:45 am

Oh, my gastronomic adventures included chicken-apple sausage cut up with pasta, marinara sauce and steamed veggies. One burner for each item…then all mixed together in the end (except the veggies remained as a side.

The beverage of choice was 100% natural cranberry-peach juice.

7. Comment by karyn on November 17, 2005 11:38 pm

Smokey & The Bandit is a GREAT movie! It’s not winning any cinematic feats, but it’s fun and I remember it lovingly from when I was a kid. Chicken-apple sausage sounds fancy! What’s with all this “baby!”, baby? I had forgotten all about the Hippy Hippie? Hippie Hippy? shake….hahaha… oh and if you like cranberry peach, try Welch’s reduced sugar Peach / White Grape… fab.

8. Comment by Karl on November 18, 2005 10:12 am

sugar free, Karyn? What’s the point?

9. Comment by karyn on November 18, 2005 4:26 pm

The Point? I want my size ten jeans back, that’s the point.