Caution: Blasting Zone

What a remarkable week this has been. Well, not really. But when it comes to blasts from the past, this past week has been highly unusual. First were Golden and Ruthie (as mentioned yesterday). Then today I came in to work to find an email from Amy B. – somebody I had dated in the spring of 1987…when I was an awkward 16 year old.

Ours was a peculiar relationship: she was the younger sister of my best friend, Missy. Somehow, when Missy started dating Scott R., Amy and I started hanging out more. One thing led to another and I would accompany her while she babysat for this family down the street who had a farm out back (chicken and pigs, if I recall). Anyway, as shy kids, we first expressed our affection for each other via the Etch-a-Sketch. We’d write things and hand it over to each other (since we couldn’t look each other in the face our of fear).

The next thing you know, we’re rolling around in the sand at Dowse’s Beach (an activity I highly discourage; it’s lovely to view such scenes on film, but incredibly uncomfortable in real life).

It was a short-lived affair…and one I suspect may have all started as an attempt by each of us to “get back” at her sister, Missy, for paying us less attention because of her new boyfriend. Or we were just horny kids. I’m not sure. But if our goal was to piss off Missy, we succeeded. To this day she jokes that she’s pissed at us for not only dating, but for keeping it from her for so long.

As is the case with quite a few of my ex girlfriends, Amy is now a lesbian. She’s lived in Colorado for the past 10 years or so and runs a real estate business with her partner. I saw her a few years ago at Missy’s wedding – but otherwise lost contact.

Until yesterday.

I wonder who else is going to pop back into my life this week?

1. Comment by Brad on December 8, 2005 10:44 am

Isn’t it strange how these things happen? I just had contact with a former classmate recently. He contacted me after not having spoken for 20 years . . . the problem is that I remember hating him in high school . . . I’m hoping things have “progressed” and we’re past that. BUT, in the last two weeks, I also heard from one of my closest friends as well. His father had recently died and I looked him up and sent him a card and now we’re back in contact . . . and THAT is very much for the good. So I guess hooking up with old friends is “in the air”.

2. Comment by Will on December 8, 2005 11:11 am

Hmmmm–you dated them and they became Lesbians? Or did they date you and you became gay? Either way, you guys had a knack for finding each other! 🙂

I ran into an old affair once in the company of his long term boyfriend of whose existence I had not been made aware at the time. I must say we all handled the quick shock, realization of the situation, and suave segue into pleasant conversation very well. It was actually a nice reunion.

3. Comment by Karl on December 8, 2005 11:16 am

Yeah..I don’t know who was responsible for making the other less hetero. he he.

Maybe there was something in the water on Cape Cod…or the proximity to Provincetown!

4. Comment by matt on December 9, 2005 12:52 am

Has Jen resurfaced from West Hollywood yet?

5. Comment by Karl on December 9, 2005 9:52 am

YES! Jennifer has resurfaced from WEHO! In fact, she moved back east over the summer and is searching for work in the Boston area right now!

6. Comment by karyn on December 13, 2005 3:38 pm

That sand is awfully uncomfortable…gets into the damnedest places, too.

I think these things act as catalysts – one such incident will occur (reentry into your life) and then the vibe kind of gets out there and it all starts to snowball… it’s quite interesting.