Payback’s a Bitch

I’m not one to gloat (yeah, who am I kidding), but I would like to report how things turned out last night while playing Rummy with Jason and Bryan. But first, a bit of background.

Historically, I was never really a competitive person. Hell, I left the architecture/design field because I hated receiving criticism. I never could accept compliments (still can’t), and I would do whatever I needed to to make people like me. Sure, there are moments where an incident got blown out of proportion (such as Karyn mocking my class ranking high school being higher than hers…so whenever I did something stupid, she’d crack a joke about it), but those were mostly created in jest (I wasn’t intentionally competing to get the higher ranking).

But back in 2001 I met my friend, Peter, while living in Salem. Over a short period of time, Peter and I became very close friends. Matt and I hung out with Peter, and his partner, Duncan, every weekend (and frequently on weeknights). Often we’d play games (board and card) or go to movies, take road trips, go out to eat, etc…

As Peter and I became closer friends, this bizarre competitive rivalry developed. We couldn’t explain it (we often wondered if it had to do with our similar upbringings on Cape Cod…though we didn’t know each other then). Anyway, we became so competitive that Matt and Duncan would frequently get un-nerved and not understand what was going on. In fact, they would think Peter and I were mad at each other (Matt frequently worried that I would someday piss Peter off…and Matt often felt, at times, that I should have been pissed off at what Peter had said or done to me).

But to Peter and me, this was just fun and we ate it up. When other friends were joining us for games or conversation, it even made them uncomfortable – yet it never stopped Peter and me.

Fast-forward to 2005. Now I’ve met Jason, who I’m gathering is equally competitive. We trade insults via our blogs. We insult each other to our faces when we hang out. We instant message each other with nasty little comments…all about playing Rummy. If you ever read Ex Post Facto (his blog), you’ll see his summaries of our games. And since, truthfully, he has worn more often than I have, you’ll see him gloat or praise his mastery of the game.

Well, let it be known here first that he managed to stick his foot so far up his ass last night that he did back flips. I came in first place (at 525 points). Bryan, a Rummy virgin no less, came in a close second at 490 points. Jason barely broke 400.

…and that’s the way life should be.

Bring it on, Jason. Bring it on.

1. Comment by mindy on December 9, 2005 10:26 am

Dude, I am so competitive about cards that the only person who’ll play me is the computer. (I once got into a fistfight with my cousin Cary after I beat him at the Ginormous Marathon 3-Deck Family Game of Oh Hell.)

2. Comment by Karl on December 9, 2005 10:28 am

YIKES! I’m guessing I shouldn’t invite you to the next Rummy match. I already have a gap in my front teeth. I don’t need others knocked out.

3. Comment by Brad on December 9, 2005 11:17 am

And don’t invite ME to play Monopoly! I’m vicious! Same goes with Flinch! 🙂

4. Comment by Will on December 9, 2005 12:31 pm

Oh great fucking heaven, what sort of battle am I going to have in my house tomorrow night for the QBB poker party? Maybe I’ll get equipment to spray you boys down with cold water.

5. Comment by Karl on December 9, 2005 2:01 pm

he he.

Well, Will, Jason won’t be there tomorrow. He claims it’s a previous obligation. I think he just can’t face losing again.

Spray down with cold water? Are you saying there’s going to be a wet t-shirt contest at your house?

6. Comment by JC on December 9, 2005 3:10 pm

I can accept my defeat with grace and humility. Bitch.

7. Comment by Will on December 9, 2005 8:16 pm

A wet T contest, eh? Now there’s an idea! Fritz has our Pin the Package on the Stud game.

8. Comment by karyn on December 13, 2005 3:35 pm

Will, can you please post pictures? 😀

Karl, I wouldn’t have mocked you if you weren’t so bloody smug about it every minute of every hour of every day for the remainder of our collective school career. Heh heh.