A Cruel Reality

I just don’t know what to say about South Dakota right now. Of course, I’m very disturbed to read about what’s going on in that state regarding abortion rights (and I suspect they’re not too keen on the fags, either). But I can’t believe how sweeping their legislation is. I mean, they’re law would ban abortions even in the case of rape or incest.

And that, to me, is just vile. Not only would a woman have to deal with the mental trauma of re-living the incident…she’d potentially have to carry the assailants baby for 9 months. I can’t imagine a worse punishment for being an innocent victim.

Of course, I want to be upset about how this whole thing transpired: it seems that they waited just until they Supreme Court sufficiently had swung to the right before pushing this thing through. The Governor even admits that he plans on this being brought to the Supreme Court so that his views (his state’s view) can end up becoming national law. Gee, here’s Bush bitching about “activist judges” in Massachusetts when the rest of the country seems chock full of “activist politicians” pushing the religious-right’s agenda on the rest of the country. But apparently that’s OK – as long as the activists are on his side.

But I can’t be upset because if the country had swung left in recent years, I’m sure that more liberal issues would be forced into the Supreme Court in the same manner. The democrats would have done the same exact thing with any of their issues. It’s the way life is.

I just hate the current circumstances.

And then there’s the Solomon Amendment ruling yesterday by the Supreme Court . Personally, I understand the court’s stance on this one (thought I don’t like it). It’s rather hypocritical of us to expect them to give colleges millions of dollars and then not allow them to recruit on campus. But wouldn’t it be easier to just let gays and lesbians into the military in the first place?

Adding insult to injury, my brother just called me this morning to say that my sister-in-law is in the hospital. I had trouble understanding her symptoms, but she’s apparently in a lot of pain…but in her face/head/ear. This is new to me since her normal issues are gastro-intestinal – but it’s apparently all related to the Mitochondrial Disease.

Other than that, class went well last night – though we didn’t get our papers back. I hate waiting – I’m so impatient. The professor said they’ll be ready next week. At the rate this country’s going, though, by next week it’ll probably be illegal to be so impatient. I’m sure those activist judges could compare impatience to one of the seven deadly sins (greed perhaps?) and my next blog posting will be from a prison cell.

Wish me luck.

1. Comment by Lise on March 7, 2006 11:26 am

Just don’t forget there is a dress code in prison! As you well know …. It’s almost unbelievable what’s happening in SD & the country at large. And we know how Alito will vote on this issue – I don’t think they’ll be able to overturn Roe/Wade but they will chip at it incrementally but steadily. So sorry about your sister-in-law; that is one of the most horrible diseases.

2. Comment by Brad on March 7, 2006 11:36 am

it’s a scary world out there for all of us who believe in free speech and basic “rights” . . . it has to change sometime, but when? Speaking of those Southerners yesterday, coming from WV (and remember, West Virginians, by and large, do not consider themselves Southerners — we went with the North), a lot of this conservatism comes from that area. So think about it? Loud obnoxious behavior at bars and conservative Christian values . . . what a paradoxical mix!

3. Comment by Ben on March 7, 2006 1:13 pm

Remember that you couldn’t get into jail when you wanted to!
    I find it so interesting that a nation founded on radically progressive ideas is now the most conservative of the world’s developed countries. What is wrong with us?

4. Comment by Dana on March 7, 2006 3:22 pm

It is the rape and not the child that is the problem. Do we now punish children for their father

5. Comment by karyn on March 7, 2006 3:45 pm

Got to tread carefully here. I think one of the most appalling things about South Dakota’s new legislation is that PRESUMING the rapist / incest-committer is brought to ‘justice’ and serves their – what? 36? 60? months in prison – once they are released, THEY COULD HAVE LEGAL RIGHTS TO THAT CHILD! The law essentially forces assailant and victim together for the remainder of a child’s life. I am not sure what would happen if a mother tries to give a child up for adoption under these circumstances; could her assailant circumvent that process and disallow it? It is truly disturbing. Can you imagine a 16 year old girl having to sort out custody and visitation arrangments with a rapist? It staggers the imagination. As does the arrangement on the supreme court. But shhh – they might be listening in. THAT’S allowed.