All That Worry…for Nothing!

“Extremely well done. Well-grounded in both the theoretical approaches and case facts. Well organized and written. Fine Work!  A”

Those were the comments my professor wrote on top of my first written paper for the Managing Organizational Change class I’m taking. You may recall three weeks ago that I submitted my first paper for this class (it took him that long to grade). We turned the papers in at the beginning of the class and then we discussed the paper’s topic as a class and I started realizing that I’d excluded many important things in my paper. I was determined I had done poorly.

But all of my worry was for nothing because I ended up getting an A. Yay me! Of course, I’ve now transferred my worry to the paper that is due tonight in my other class. And I’ve got another paper due for the first class in 3 weeks…plus two final papers and a group project to contend with.

Oh, and my tax accountant has completed my taxes and is mailing them to me. I decided against asking how much I owe because, as with my course grades (and everything else in my life), I prefer being pessimistic and then pleasantly surprised when I find out it’s not as bad as my active imagination made it out to be.

Actualy, I seem to live my whole life that way – which is odd since I’ve never considered myself a pessimist. I just use pessimism as a tool to ensure overalll optimism.

Yep, my therapist has his hands full.

1. Comment by Mark on March 21, 2006 12:13 pm

Yay, you!

2. Comment by Mike on March 21, 2006 12:49 pm

Congratulations you genius! This whole defensive pessimism thing…I think I do it backwards. “Everything’s going to be fine, fine…” And then when things go wrong, “See, everything’s fine, fine…” Quite a case for Freud, or Voltaire. Or My Name is Earl.

3. Comment by J.P. on March 21, 2006 1:37 pm

Congratulations on the A! Good for you.

4. Comment by chrispy on March 21, 2006 1:54 pm

“hope for the best but expect the worst”, ah , i know the sentiment well. its the basis for many a neuroses in my family!

5. Comment by Lise on March 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Congrats. Is that why I have such bad karma? Should I be doing it your way? Earl & Karl, wise men. Who knew?

6. Comment by Lise on March 21, 2006 4:33 pm

And is it the point of Earl to make everyone look like crap? There’s my darling little Timothy Olyphant of Deadwood (yummmm — the man gives new meaning to the term “rigid” on that) looking absolutely horrid as the redneck car guy w/ the foot-licking fetish. Ugh. What’s the point of having handsome men on view if they look like that? Oh, I wonder if he’s a Scientologist like Jason, appearing on the show for no apparent reason …