Can’t Get Blood From a Stone

Ow.

So I went to the doctor yesterday to get my cold/sore throat checked out. I never go to the doctor for colds or sore throats, but since I managed to catch strep (for the first time since I was a kid) only a month or so ago I figured I should play it safe. So, since it has been nearly 6 months since my last HIV-test, I figured I’d be responsible adult and do that at the same time.

Well, it looks like the thoat isn’t strep (though, the results won’t be back until later today), but the HIV test became quite the scene. I used to not watch as the needle was driven into my arm, but now morbid curiosity has gotten the best of me and I like to see how deep the needle goes in.

Everything was going normally as she tied that rubber band thingy around my upper arm. Then she shoved the needle in about an inch to an inch and a half….then nothing. No blood came out. Not a drop. She slid the needle 3/4 the way out and pushed it in another direction. Nothing. She repeated this 4 or 5 times before removing the needle. With each attempt, I could see the outline of the needle under the skin as it poked in various directions. At this point, it began getting a bit sore.

She ended up going over to my other arm before finally striking oil. I recall that my niece had this problem in the hospital…but I thought it was because she was constantly having IV needles stuck in her so it was difficult finding non-scarred ones. I believe heroine addicts have the same problem. But, damn – my arm hasn’t been injected with a needle since my last test nearly 6 months ago. I guess it was just bad aim on the phlebotomists part.

…and bad luck on my part.

1. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on March 30, 2006 12:33 pm

Definitely a bad phlebotomist!!!! Even if you have hard-to-find-veins, the good ones have no problem.

2. Comment by Veselka Slut on March 30, 2006 2:10 pm

I’m glad you’re “cold/sore” thing is okay.

3. Comment by Karl on March 30, 2006 2:15 pm

Oh, Dude…that was low!

For the record – no cold sores here..nor any trace of herpetic activity

4. Comment by Doug on March 30, 2006 4:51 pm

Dave is right…BAD phlebotomist…I have ‘deep’ veins and only occasionally have I had a nurse not get it the first time…unless they are new…

5. Comment by J.P. on March 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Jinkees I hate that when they can’t draw blood when that’s what they’re suppose to be good at. Early in the game I learned to avoid the nurse named “Nurse Needles”, she was never any good. The other one, “Sweaty Betty”, was to be avoided as well.

6. Comment by karyn on March 30, 2006 6:53 pm

Yowza. As my skin is practically see-through, you would think they’d be able to find a freaking vein easily enough but no; I’ve gone through similar crap and it’s no fun. I hope you let rip a nice shriek in her Draculalicious ear. Beeyatch. (Mark – WOW, remind me never to get on YOUR bad side!)