Politics as Usual

I was watching the CBS Morning News this morning. Well, I was getting my breakfast and walked into the living room to have my bowl of Smart Start and beer mug of orange juice when I noticed the news show was profiling Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

I never saw the introduction to this story so I have no idea what would prompt them to do an entire piece on him. But it was the most biased and silly piece of drivel I’d seen on the news in ages. They were raving about how this conservative is still well-liked by the liberals of Massachusetts. Who the hell wrote this thing? Last I heard, his approval ratings were in the toilet (worse than Bush’s). They gave him credit for the recent universal healthcare law (for our state only) that was passed recently (ironically, he vetoed parts of it). They even talked about how his being Mormon shouldn’t play a factor if he decides to run for President.

Why is this news? I really wish I caught the first part of this. I simply can’t figure out why they did this except, well, some sort of propaganda.

Oh, in other political/religious news….when I was sick on Wednesday the Today Show was interviewing the cast (and director, Ron Howard) of the DaVinci Code. At one point, Mr. Lauer asked “the” question*: “Many christians have asked that you put a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie stating that this is a piece of fiction, yet you have not. What are your feelings on this?”

Nobody answered. The entire cast was dead silent…until a few seconds later when Ian McKellen finally spoke up. He said*: “Well, personally, I’ve always thought there should have been a disclaimer at the beginning of the bible stating this it, too, was a complete work of fiction.”

I love him.

Oh, and now that my classes are over and I’m no longer required to read exciting titles such as “Organizational Culture and Leadership”, “Leading Change” and, my favorite, “Winning Through Innovation”, I’m finally starting to read for pleasure again. Last week, I bought 5 books that have been on my list for the past 6 months or so and yesterday began reading the first one: “I Am Not Myself These Days”, a memoir by Josh Kilmer-Purcell. Well, I didn’t “start” the book so much as I  finished the book – all 321 pages – between my lunch hour, the time between work and Will & Grace’s series finale, and the half hour I read in bed before falling asleep.

I forgot how much fun it is to read for fun. Though, Mr. Kilmer-Purcell’s book has only made me realize how boring my life really is. Now, I don’t want his life. I have no desire to be an alcoholic drag queen with mini fish tanks as my breasts (filled with live goldfish) living with a crack cocaine addicted male escort. Nor do I wish to wake up lying in a pool of my own filth. But at least he’s got stories to tell. Where are my stories? I’ve got two years worth of blog entries and nothing to show for it.

Maybe I need to start living on the edge a bit? Well, as “on the edge” as I can without requiring alcohol or drugs. Or flying. Or crowds.

Oh, forget….I’m just boring. It’s who I am.

*I’m paraphrasing here since I can’t recall the exact wording….but this was the gist of the conversation.

1. Comment by JC on May 19, 2006 10:33 am

I heart Ian McKellen. And I wonder what “liberals” they interviewed about Romney. The “Democrats” from Wellesley don’t count.

2. Comment by Erica on May 19, 2006 11:23 am

Eve just read that book last week! The author even ended up commenting on her blog entry about it!

3. Comment by Lise on May 19, 2006 11:32 am

Ian McKellen is so wry – love him. I guess he’s the only thing of any value in the whole sorry movie. But now he always sounds like Gandalf to me. I thought the W&G behind the scenes show was fun, but the finale was lame, didn’t flow very well. Boring, schmoring – we love you Juuuust the Waay You Are.

4. Comment by chrispy on May 19, 2006 11:42 am

errrm, arent you the guy who recently blogged about being groped in the un-lit back room of a leather bar by men other than your boyfriend, with your boyfriend present? Ok so maybe it happened once, i say pop the rest of your calm-me-the-fuck-down pills and have a red bull and vodka chaser.

5. Comment by karyn on May 19, 2006 11:48 am

Smart Start & OJ. Well well. SOMEONE wants to live forever.

You hit it on the head; propaganda by way of prepresidential nominee publicity. If that piece of crap is nominated and runs for president I swear, I will vote for whoever else is running just so he won’t get my vote. Him and his brill-cream wall of hair and those chiclet teeth and his hatchet finances. (Chop. Cut. Chop. Cut.) I don’t give a rat’s ass if he’s Mormon or Jewish or Presbytarian. I just don’t want him in charge of my country. Fuckwit.

I will go see the DaVinci Code because I can’t bear to not see all the places outlined in the novel. Make no mistake, I harbor no expectations that the film will supercede the book in terms of its wow factor, but I still want to see it. (I did this with Gone With The Wind too – fell in love with the book, ran out to rent the movie and HATED it so much I have blocked 99% of the entire experience from my consciousness. Seriously.)

You have no stories to tell? Are you out of your mind? I can think of ten chapter topics right this moment. You don’t need to be surrounded by crap and garbage and dramatic implants to tell a good story you know.

And I’m glad you’ve rediscovered reading for pleasure. Go read Lord Vishnu’s Love Handles.

6. Comment by Veselka Slut on May 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Republican or Democrat, who in Massachusetts can say that Romney is doing even a passable job? He is postively reviled. It would have been better if his mom had taken it upon herself to prove how pro-life she really was forty-five some odd years ago.

Why can’t more republicans be like Weld?

I started the Davinci code last night, (I had to hurry it home in a brown paper bag like it was lice shampoo or adult diapers), page turner but just a tad far-fetched. I’m going with the uber-nerd cardre to see the movie tonight. I hope KrazyKhristians are there so I can spit my unpopped popcorn kernels at them.

enough with the rain already, WTF?

7. Comment by Veselka Slut on May 19, 2006 12:13 pm

Boy, mi speling is onn todae!

8. Comment by josh kilmer-purcell on May 19, 2006 1:12 pm

thanks pal, for the plug. i’m really glad you enjoyed the book. if it’s any consolation, i’m really boring now. (tho i suspect you really aren’t.)

hugs and fishes,
    josh

9. Comment by Fred on May 20, 2006 6:46 am

Wow…controversial segment, Karl! In any case, I’m with you – I was born/raised a Massachusetts-style Republican (as in, even with his faults/vacillations, to this day, I’d give Bill Weld the blowjob of his life….and not just ‘cuz I always thought he was hot, lol….), and I don’t know what crack pipe people are smoking when they vote for Mitt – he’s AWFUL, on every level…I don’t get it…

I’m ready to volunteer to be a bodyguard for Ian McKellen, after that (WONDERFUL!) comment, alas, he’s going to need it….people, in the aggregate, are so fookin’ scary…

Hope all’s good!

10. Comment by Chris on May 22, 2006 2:27 am

I agree with Karyn. Of course.

Also, a bright boy like you (that wasn’t the first adjective that came to mind, btw) should know that reading in bed is *terrible* sleep hygiene.