Today’s the Day

As of 1:16 this morning I’m 35 years old. I’m offically in a new demographic (the 35-49 group….18-34 is now a distant memory).

I had some very peculiar dreams last night, too. One woke me up shortly after my birth time (closer to 1:30 AM). In it, I was at my office and there was some bald man with a goatee trying to kill me. Instead of exiting through the glass door I have now (leading to the roof deck) I had to jump over a concrete parapet. Needless to say, the dream woke me up.

Then around 3:30 I had another dream (which I think is a result of the book I’ve been reading) where I met up with a rent-boy (hustler, male prostitute) and tried to hook up with him in a bathroom stall. It was very odd. We never had sex, actually. My damn morality kicked in and then I woke up.

HMMMM – the more I think about it, I wonder if this is some sort of subliminal message about how I’m now old and undesirable and the only sex I’d ever be able to get is the kind I’d have to pay for?

Actually, I’m being a drama queen. Turning 35 really doesn’t bother me (no birthdays ever have). In fact, I feel better about myself now than I ever have in the past. And it’s going to be a good one, too. The Flonase has kicked in, I’m getting together with Mike and friends tonight, we’re fast approaching a long holiday weekend and the weather is supposed to be nearly perfect, and I was recognized because of my blog on the train this morning. I was walking up the steps and this fellow said “Excuse me, I just wanted to say ‘happy birthday’ to you.”. This turned into more conversation and he said he read my blog yesterday and that’s how he knew today was my birthday. How cool is that? He also works at Harvard so we ended up walking and talking together.

It’s my birthday – and I feel like a star with my fans, my assassins and my whores.

1. Comment by JC on May 24, 2006 10:21 am

Hmmm…a bald man with a goatee tried to kill you. Was it me? 🙂

2. Comment by karyn on May 24, 2006 10:58 am

Fans, assassins and whores, oh my! Who COULD ask for anything more??? Happy birthday you lucky thing – xoxox

3. Comment by Brad on May 24, 2006 11:03 am

Well, i’m the rent boy — and that was no dream!!! And you remembered the end incorrectly . . . we DID have sex and you NEVER paid me . . . what a dead beat. 🙂 Glueckliches Geburtstag, lieber Karl!

4. Comment by Chris on May 24, 2006 11:57 am

Bon anniversaire, Karl!

5. Comment by Fred on May 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Well THIS bald goatee’d guy (the modern clone-look… useful as one gets into this latter demographic, as I have [sigh] afore ye…much like leather accessories, come to think on it…), wishes you a VERY happy birthday, NOT dead! Hope your day’s going great – congrats on the Flonase – good birthday present!

6. Comment by Will on May 24, 2006 5:55 pm

I’m not an assassin, not a rent boy (although I DO have an inner slut), but a fan. Happy 35th! If it turns out for you the way it turned out for me, it will be the beginning of a golden time of life.

7. Comment by Veselka Slut on May 24, 2006 5:55 pm

How much was the rent boy? was he hot? younger twinky type? preppy? daddy? jock? Was the bathroom clean? Was is that your morality kicked in and that woke you up or that reality set in and not much went up at all? (Now that you’re officially an old man and all. . . ) Just kidding! Happy birthday 🙂

Sweet dreams tonight of returning to the bathroom. . . and good luck with the flonase description and with that new demographic, I hear they don’t take kindly to newcomers and send this bald headed guy after them.

8. Comment by Ed on May 24, 2006 6:03 pm

Happy B-Day Karl welcome to the “Old” club.

9. Comment by J.P. on May 24, 2006 9:03 pm

I’ll say it again – Happy Birthday! 🙂