Paris, Part Cinq

It is now Sunday and we’ve been in Paris for a full week already (actually, slightly longer). Today is also the first rainy day we’ve had. Though, to be honest, I’m enjoying the laziness it provides. Mike has gone off to a museum in the 17th arrond. and Mark is prepping to head out to dinner and a show with family.

That leaves me resting and recuperating from yeserday’s Gay Pride festivities. The parade began at 1:30PM at Montparnasse and wove a path through the city to the Ile St Louis and ultimately the Bastille. Silly me thought we could head out around 2:30PM to catch the parade as it crossed the bridge to the island.

No.

Mike and I sat and waited…and waited…and waited…until nearly 4:30PM for the first portions of the parade to come by. The sun was beating down upon us, resulting in a couple of cranky, sweaty Americans (fortunately I packed sunblock). We saw about 1.5 hours worth of the parade before giving up. I took some fun photos that I will post once I download them (these Parisians love their skimpy clothing and exposed breasts).

After the parade, Mike and I headed out for dinner and settled for a horrible little cafe called, well, the Little Cafe. The waiter was cute in a bearish sort of way, but the service was horrible (my first stereotypical French experience). The food wasn’t much better (dried-out poulet roti with gross pommes de terre). Mike’s lieue (a white fish) was tasty.

The streets of the Marais were even more crowded (and equally loud) than they were a few nights before for the Fête de Musique. I can’t believe how much more this old city parties than Boston. To be honest, it goes a little beyond what I’d like in Boston, but it would be nice if Boston lightened up a bit. The carnival atmosphere on a few nights per year and the celebratory feelings throughout the area are worth the noise and debris (and, from a capitalist standpoint, the restaurants, shops, cafes and bars were making a killing).

Later in the evening, Mike, Mark (and Mark’s friend, John) and I ventured to the bars. Most of the partying was taking place in the streets as entire neighborhoods were taken over as block parties – making driving (or sleeping) impossible.

One bar had a shower booth where a staff member/dancer posed, stripped and oiled up  (I have photos…that I won’t post here).

Now it is Sunday and I’ve done nothing but watch DVDs of Will and Grace, shower, and read the Amsterdam travel book I bought. Oh, I forgot – I also spent hours on the internet trying to find affordable parking in Amsterdam (not an easy task). Tomorrow we’re off to Amsterdam (a 5.25 hour drive). FUN! – we’ll probably stop off someplace in Belgium for lunch (scratching off two more countries from my list of unchartered territories). WOO HOO!

1. Comment by MO on June 25, 2006 11:37 am

Try the fries in Belgium, they are the best.

2. Comment by Will on June 25, 2006 3:50 pm

If you’re into van Gogh AT ALL, go to the van Gogh Museum on Museumplein “behind” the Rijksmuseum. The building itself is worth visiting as a space to display art, but the collection is marvelous.

I really like the pictures of you and Mike–the most intimate you’ve posted. The way you settle into his shoulder is exactly the way I settle into Fritz’s. I hope you’re both having a great time.

3. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on June 26, 2006 1:57 am

Absolutely must on the Van Gogh Museum. It’s bite-sized, but ohhh, what bites they are.

4. Comment by karyn on June 26, 2006 11:41 am

Did I send you my link to Amsterdam stuff? 63 Prinsengracht! And what the hell is Rue Tivoli and why do I know that name??? It”s driving me nuts.

Yes, you do need to visit the Van Gogh museum and Delft if you can manage it.

Lots of pictures. love you.

5. Comment by Will on June 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Karyn’s absolutely correct about Delft–a really charming litle town, great to walk and very beautiful.