Putting the Ass in Massachusetts

Now, I know that it’s illegal to serve acohol to minors. And, I believe the law states that if a person looks like they’re under 28 (or 30, or some such age) that you should ask to see their ID anyway.

But is it still required to ask senior citizens? That’s practically what happened in front of me at the Prudential Center Shaw’s market. A couple in their early 60’s (my guess) were purchasing three bottles of red wine and the cashier saw the wine and immediately asked to see the man’s ID (since he was paying). Shocked, he pulled out his driver’s license and showed it to the clerk. His wife stood on the side smirking at the silliness of asking a person his age for an ID to buy wine.

But it got worse. The cashier then asked his wife for her ID, too, since she was accompanying the man purchasing the wine. What’s up with that? Does that mean if a father and his toddler go into a package store to buy wine for a romantic dinner with his wife that he can’t buy the wine? Or was this cashier (who was also quite slow in completing all of her transactions) generally a slow person?

Either way – it made the three of us chuckle (except for the cashier who didn’t get it).

I also saw a movie this weekend. It’s the first one I’ve gone to in ages. I went by myself which is also something I’d not done in years. I rather enjoyed it (the movie…and going alone). The movie was “The Oh in Ohio” (hence the play in my blog title today). It starred Parker Posey who was my movie idol in the 1990’s. Paul Rudd (whom I also adore) played her husband, Heather Graham played a lesbian sex shop owner, Danny DeVito played a pool salesman, and Liza Minelli played a women’s masturbation coach (hilariously, I might add).

It was essentially an indie romantic comedy with a bit of raunchy humor thrown in. The funny thing is I’d not heard about this movie at all. I had planned on seeing “Little Miss Sunshine”, but also saw this movie listed and figured that “Little Miss Sunshine” would be around for at least a few more weekends. Maybe the reason I’ve not heard much about “The Oh in Ohio” is that it’s about a mid-30’s woman who has never reached orgasm…but finally does through the use of a vibrator. She then becomes addicted – to the point of inserting her pager into her unmentionables while in the car and while working. Her husband, who was never able to bring her to orgasm before, did manage to bring her there unintentionally by repeatedly calling her in anger one afternoon.

Anyway, it was cute. I laughed and I left smiling.

1. Comment by Brad on August 7, 2006 11:37 am

I think the movie sounds great fun! I’ll have to check it out! Thanks for the tip. As for carding people in their 60s . . . I suppose the only good part is they should be flattered that they looked “under-age”. 🙂

2. Comment by J.P. on August 7, 2006 12:56 pm

You have excellent taste in cinematic fare! 🙂

And the Shaw’s cashier was an asshat. Just my 02¢. What was the cashier old enough to sell alcohol? Where was his/her ID?

3. Comment by karyn on August 7, 2006 3:03 pm

where the fuck is my comment?! i commented first and then when i wasn’t sure if it posted, i clicked “reply” again and was told ‘no no, you’ve already said that, this is a duplicate” so i went on my merry way. WTF? Hmmph.

4. Comment by thleen on August 8, 2006 9:06 am

From the local paper here in Ithaca, NY.
    Love your blog, BTW.
    Cracking down in wrong place

I can’t agree more with the insanity of asking an 88 year old for ID so he can buy beer. I too saw the years before 21 a long time ago. When I was purchasing beer at Wegmans not only was I asked for ID, but also my husband who was standing with me was told that he too had to show his ID. My husband immediately told the young cashier that the beer wasn’t for us, that is was for our 12-year-old son over there. My husband went on to say that our son is too young to buy beer so we have to buy it for him. The cashier looked at us, his mouth open wide, his body frozen. So my husband assured him that it was OK, that our son is a very good student and the beer doesn’t seem to cause him any problems. “Yes but,” the cashier slowly said as he reached for his help button. I broke in and told the relieved employee that we don’t have a 12-year-old son, the beer is for my husband, and I turned to him and told him to show his ID or forget the beer.

I used to be hopeful that we would advance and know how to intelligently solve problems. It seems that we are failing horribly and in the meantime we are giving up our freedoms. People are senselessly dying, our environment is being destroyed, but we are making sure that an 88-year-old man is old enough to buy beer!

Ithaca