Life’s Pleasant Little Surprises

street 02 060816.jpg

You know how you’ll put on a coat after not wearing it since the previous season and you’ll discover a dollar bill (or some forgotten change)? CHA-CHING! It’s usually something you discover in the morning and it sets the mood for a great day.

Well, I had a similar experience yesterday. I was balancing my first bank statement since returning from Europe and discovered that the balance I had in my checkbook register was incorrect! And, rarest of rarities, it was incorrect in my favor! Apparently, I’d forgotten to add a paycheck that was direct-deposited into my account while I was on vacation! That, on top of the Flexible Spending Account checks I deposited yesterday gave my checking account (and mood) a nice boost!

Oh, and in case you couldn’t tell, the photo above is my side of the street. Going back to yesterday’s conversation, most of my block is your standard late 19th-century North End. The photo below is the copper and slate remodel that is taking place across the street. You may notice that the first floor is non-existent: it’s like a Florida car port.

street 01 060816.jpg

Yet based on the comments I’ve received, the whole slate and copper design is rather pricey so the owner must be rich (or nouveau-riche). Maybe I’ll grow to love it over time (or I’ll just keep my blinds drawn).

1. Comment by karyn on August 17, 2006 10:00 am

Frankly I find the carport thing more unattractive than the copper siding. I don’t know why he persists in the vertical thing… it’s not quite doing it for me, but I like the look of copper so I have a hard time crashing on it too much. Although as someone said, lightning storms, yikes. Is copper a conductor?

That’s sweet about the check! You BALANCE your checkbook? Of course you do… I can’t even FIND my checkbook…and I’ve never balanced it, not once, since I opened the damned account in 1992. LOL. Will you still respect me in the morning? Oh who are we kidding. You never respected me in the first place. But I love you anyway.

2. Comment by snarl on August 17, 2006 10:02 am

Yes, I have concerns that this new neighboring facade isn’t splush enough for me.

3. Comment by karyn on August 17, 2006 10:11 am

In a completely spontaneous urge to post my every thought on this topic, hem hem, you should buy some Playskool alphabet magnets and in passing spell out messages to the owner: Anti Splush , Fugly, Seeking Non Linear Ornamentation, What Was He Thinking, and so forth.

Just my 2 cents.

4. Comment by chrispy on August 17, 2006 10:18 am

um it reminds me of a shipping crate on stilts. nuff said.

5. Comment by crackpotus on August 17, 2006 10:35 am

Karyn, you would have to bring some glue with those alphabet magnets to attach them to copper (which is an excellent conductor, used for wirings).

6. Comment by snarl on August 17, 2006 10:38 am

Oh great…my block is going to burst into flames when the next warm front comes through.

7. Comment by fred on August 17, 2006 10:52 am

Hmm…that is a FUGLY facade…nice materials, used POORLY. The crappy little cheap-ass windows (pre-existing, I assume) don’t help. I don’t think there was a (trained or competent, anyway) architect involved in this one – woulda been better to cover the whole thing in one material or the other if it’s going to float over a void like that, or to maybe do a square of copper surrounded by slate that picks up all 4 windows, or at least do it so it’s not such a weird-ass layer cake. Blech. Will improve a bit once it’s green – but that’ll take about 15 years to be nice. No worries about lightning and conductivity – it may or may not be properly grounded, but it’s hardly the highest thing around – it’s basically protected by all the much higher (and more attractive, both aesthetically and to lightning) buildings around it. The skin of metal’s in some ways protective if done properly – like how one is safest IN one’s metal car in a lightning storm: it’s a “Faraday Cage” (like the thing the big Van de Graaf generator stands in at the Museum of Science where they do the lightning/electricity show), the energy passes harmlessly AROUND you. I wouldn’t go and lean on it in the midst of a massive thunderstorm, but, hey, it’s a storey up in the air and who would want to get wet anyway.

Congrats on the unexpected fundage – yeah, Karyn – wow – he balances his checkbook…think he’d be willing to do ours?! (after finding them, of course…) – good man!

8. Comment by karyn on August 17, 2006 2:08 pm

No problem, a dab of super glue on the back of the magnets before he tosses ’em up. How hard could it be? Nothing could POSSIBLY go awry with THAT plan. *eyeroll*

What do I know from conductivity? Rubber good. Everything else bad.

9. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on August 17, 2006 4:35 pm

Snarl: Your block is already bursting into flames, and it ain’t the copper’s fault. SMOOCHES!

Karyn: Ooooo, rubber.

The Denizen: Nouveau Trashe. Ghastly. Agree w/ Fred, a waste of excellent materials. A CAR PORT??? Oy gevalt(-a fish).

10. Comment by Will on August 17, 2006 5:12 pm

Well, it’s pretty hopeless. I thought there might have been some interest in it just from the materials, but lordy–that’s grim. It is so blank and lacking in any line or style–far too few windows, no real connection to anything around it, and a bad, bad use of good materials.

It MIGHT be slightly less noxious when it all turns green.

Or not.