What Would You Do With $10,000?

The CBS Morning News this morning interviewed a waitress who received a $10,000 tip at the Applebee’s she works at in Kansas. When asked what she would do with the money, she said that she wants to help her father with some expenses associated with knee surgery he’s having in October. She also plans to coordinate a bachelorette party for a friend in Las Vegas. Finally, she wants to get a Jeep she’s had her eye on.

WOW. $10,000 apparently goes a long way in Kansas.

Speaking of long ways (keep your minds out of your gutter*), I’m heading a short distance away for the holiday weekend: Connecticut! I’ll be taking Amtrak to Springfield, MA where he’ll pick me up and show me the sights of Hartford. Aside from the Mark Twain house, we’re both at a loss at what to explore. Plus, with Ernesto’s rainy residue expected on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, I suspect we’ll spend a lot of time indoors watching DVD’s. And that’s fine with me. I’m really looking forward to a low-key, lazy weekend to cap off my low-key, lazy summer.

*Though, now that my mind is in the gutter, here’s a little story for you. When I was living at Longfellow Place back in the 90’s, I was ordering theatre tickets to a show in Greenwich Village. The ticket agent (a flaming homosexual if I ever heard one) asked for my address. I said “One Longfellow Place” and he cut me off and asked “Are you?” Confused, I asked, “Am I what?”. He replied “Are you a long fellow?”. Shocking! My virgin ears.

1. Comment by Fred on September 1, 2006 10:42 am

Hey – another good thing in Hartford is the Wadsworth Athenaeum – their art museum – it’s a sweet small-city collection with some very good stuff (Worcester also has a nice one of similar size, but that’s farther afield).

2. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on September 1, 2006 11:28 am

“Don’t get saucy with me, Bernaise!” *smirk*