Sometimes I Even Disgust Myself

On Monday night I went my usual local produce market in the North End to pick up the basics; bananas, yogurt, and milk. Directly next door (actually, two doors down since there is an oyster bar in between) there is a shop called Dairy Fresh Candies.

It’s wonderful. The place is packed with every style of confection your heart could desire (chocolates, nuts, gummis, marzipam). Most of their packaged stuff comes from Europe (German gummi bears, Belgian chocolates, Italian pizzelles). Then, along one wall is the glass display case where you buy your treats by the pound.

After picking up the healthy foods at the produce shop next door, I entered here and purchased a pound of peanut butter cups. It was 6:00PM. By 7:30PM there was a half pound left.

By noon yesterday the entire pound of peanut butter cups was gone. I didn’t share them with anybody. When you consider that I was asleep for 8 hours and prepping for bed/bathing/commuting for another 2 hours – that means I ate a pound of peanut butter cups in less than 5 hours.

Needless to say, it all kind of hit me in the early evening last night. It was a most unpleasant feeling that was all too familiar. You see, I’d done the exact same thing two weeks ago. In fact, both of these were not isolated incidents. Oh no, I’m afraid to say I have a bit of a history when it comes to my tasty confections.

But in the immortal words of Depeche Mode: “I go out of my head. I just can’t get enough, I just can’t get enough.”  

1. Comment by Lise on November 1, 2006 11:10 am

I feel your pain fellow binger. Once ate a rich fancy dinner & then an entire valentine box of godiva chocolates. Needless to say, the valentine night did not pan out as expected.

2. Comment by J.P. on November 1, 2006 1:33 pm

I would die for a pound of peanut butter cups. Of course, I’d also die for a pound of potato salad, which I ate in one sitting once. Don’t feel bad, everyone deserve a little treat. Just go for a walk and enjoy the chocolate high.

3. Comment by Chris on November 1, 2006 3:26 pm

OMG. I bet it was not fun for you when all that chocolate and PB “caught up” with your system. Ahem!

4. Comment by karyn on November 1, 2006 10:35 pm

Ah, what the hell. You only live once. I hope.

5. Comment by Six on November 2, 2006 9:39 am

Sounds like we would get along just fine.