This Jetlag is Killing Me!

I’ve always had a hard time with jetlag. Even domestic trips to the west coast (3 hours) cause my system to go haywire. Europe (6 hours) requires two weeks to adjust to upon my return. Now I’m contending with the 14 hour adjustment brought on by my trip to Japan.

I was fine while I was there, but since returning I’ve been wanting to nod off every day at 2:30 in the afternoon. Conversely, I keep waking up around 2:30 in the morning. Last night, Randy crashed at my place and we both woke up in the middle of the night. By 4AM we were having a full conversation. Needless to say, my 4 hours of sleep last night have not put me in a good place today.

It also doesn’t help matters than my body acts like a freakin’ heater. Even the previous few nights when I’ve slept alone (without turning on the heat, mind you) I’ve been waking up sweating. Last night, while sharing the bed, it was even worse. Excessive sweating, restlessness, inappropriate mid-day yawns….this is not fun.

On the plus side, tomorrow is the annual Santa Speedo Run in Boston (a bunch of folks run through the wintery cold streets of Boston in nothing but speedos and sneakers¬†– an event founded here many years ago). I’m not participating – but it’s always fun to watch.

1 Comment(s)

1. Comment by Will on December 16, 2006 3:55 pm

Let me recommend to you a product called No Jet Lag. You take the first pill when you enter the airport, then one every two hours if you aren’t sleeping. You take them until you leave the airport of your destination.

Fritz and I used it for the first time on a flight from LA to New Zealand. We arrived at 4am (was supposed to be 5 but we had tailwinds) and had to pick up a car (British-style drive) and drive four hours. We were both in great shape all day and only began to get tired around 10pm. We slept through the night and were adjusted completely the next day. You buy this product in whole food stores, etc.