Christmas Wrapping

Not only is that a great song by the Waitresses, but it’s also what I spent last night doing. I started the process over at Randy’s on Sunday, and finished up at home last night. Now it’s just a matter of opening them all up and destroyed the presentation.

Actually, my wrapping skills don’t compare to that of the Japanese. Apparently, wrapping is an artform there (makes sense with their origami tradition). I bought some traditional Japanese dolls (hand-carved wood dolls) as gifts and the clerk at the shop spent 20 minutes wrapping them to perfection. The strange thing was that these weren’t being wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper. Oh no, it was just some fancy tissue/paper with the shops logo on it. But the precision with which she folded it was amazing. She even stopped halfway through and started over again with a new sheet of paper.

It’s fascinating to watch – they don’t place the item in the center and wrap like we do. They put it on an angle so half of the item hangs over the edge. It’s difficult to explain – but an intriguing skill I’d love to learn.

Speaking of learning things, I learned yesterday that Mary Cheney (lesbian daughter of our vice-president) is going to have a baby with her partner. The president said he’s happy for her and confident that she’ll make a good mother. If that’s the case, why does he keep working to ban same-sex marriage because the healthiest environment for a child is in a home with a mother and a father?

1 Comment(s)

1. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on December 19, 2006 11:43 am

Maybe he’s hoping Mary will be able to trade in her “wife” for a “good man” at a “Yankee swap”. ;-p Which is??