Nor For My Consideration

I’ve been wanting to see For Your Consideration (the movie) since I first heard about it nearly a year ago. I’ve always seen Christopher Guest’s movies the weekend they came out (if not opening day). But I’ve become lazy…or distracted. I’m still dying to see it, but at this rate it’s going to be out on DVD before I get my ass to the cinema.

Instead, I had a fairly lazy weekend. I got together with some friends (and Randy) on Friday night to chat and eat Thai food. On Saturday I visited my sister-in-law at the hospital while Randy had prep work for a crown and/or root canal. Heidi’s condition seems to be getting more complicated. Her lungs keep filling up with liquid which, once drained, was determiend to be blood. A tube that was inserted into her chest about 5 months ago (for nourishing her) has since begun coroding. It needs to be removed, but CAT scans indicate that it may have poke through the vein so that, if removed, it could cause a “catostrophic event” (doctor’s words) and bleed uncontrollably. They’re now keeping the tube in place since, despite it not functioning for its intended purpose, it’s blocking the hole that would cause major (fatal) bleeding. However, this isn’t a permanent solution because it’s coroding.

It’s so complex…and exhausting. My poor brother.

Saturday night, Randy helped distract me by inviting some friends over, eating Chinese take-out, and playing Monopoly Here and Now (the newest edition). Properties sell for in the millions and it’s no longer based on Atlantic City (in fact, Fenway Park/Boston is now the second most expensive land in the country after Times Square/NYC). Poor Texas and Ohio are at the beginning of the board (tee hee).

But Sunday was the best day of the weekend. We did nothing. We woke up, read the paper, ate food, watched TV. I never left (Randy’s) house…nor did he (except to step onto the porch to pick up the Sunday Globe. I could use more days like that.

Yesterday (Monday) was a holiday so I drove Randy to the airport for his business trip then went up to Salem to hang out with my friend, Peter. He’s got the new Nintendo Wi systems (We? WI? W1?) Anyway, this is a brilliant system! It’s an actual video game that doesn’t require you to sit in front of the TV. In fact, you HAVE to be physically active. We played bowling and tennis and you literally have to go through all the physical motions to play. My back and arms are killing me! Now lazy Americans (like I was/am, I admit) can play their video games AND get exercise! The downside to this game system is that you need to live in a grand ballroom or else you run into each other (or pieces of furniture) while you’re playing.

1. Comment by mindy on January 16, 2007 11:23 am

I *know* you didn’t just make fun of Ohio.

2. Comment by Chris on January 16, 2007 1:42 pm

Actually: Wii.

And, I’m sensing a trend in your weekend food choices.

3. Comment by Doug on January 16, 2007 6:24 pm

I know you didnt say you went to SALEM…..

4. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on January 16, 2007 9:04 pm

I know what tomorrow’s post is going to say: “My goddamn upstairs neighbor now has a fucking Wii system and is playing it and stomping all day long!” ;-p

Continued thoughts and best wishes to your family in an impossible situation…

5. Comment by karyn on January 17, 2007 12:11 am

Man, that sucks for Paul.

Well, and Heidi, but I feel worse for Paul somehow.

I had the same thought Dave in Chicago did! LOL! Upstairs neighbor! Bought Wii! Oh no! Maybe you can make friends and play together? Riiiiiiiight.

6. Comment by Kevin on January 17, 2007 2:07 pm

As I mentioned, there’s no rush to see FYC. I was disappointed in it. It doesn’t hold up compared to the others. Is it fun? Sure, but not nearly as fun as some of the others — and I didn’t walk away with a single “catch phrase” from it.