Before I Get Judgemental…

…Could somebody please explain to me the details of that man up in New Hampshire who is refusing to pay over $700,000 in income taxes to the federal government? From the glimpses of news reports that I’ve seen (while distracted by internet and other shiny objects) all I can ascertain is that he was a doctor (or lawyer?) who refuses to pay taxes because he never signed a contract with the government promising to pay taxes (and that the constitution doesn’t explicitly say he will have to pay taxes).

Is there more to it than that? Am I missing something? I must be…because now he’s holed up in his uber-McMansion in the middle of nowhere with battery power, generators and enough food to sustain himself for quite some time. He’s blocked his driveway from governmental officials and I hear he’s also part of some militia.

So, if anybody knows more about this – whether to correct the facts that I may have gotten wrong or just to provide mroe information – I’d appreciate it.

Because right now I’m just annoyed at him and I’m sick of this popping up on the news everyday.

1. Comment by veselka slut on January 23, 2007 11:50 am

Nope, you got it just about right, another New Hampshire nutbag extreme libertarian. These are the people that select our presidential field. For balance Iowa and South Carolina are in there, not that reassuring is it?

Maybe you should do something about it. . . like pay your taxes to dat dem guvmint.

2. Comment by karyn on January 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Oh hey. I never signed any contract either.

Where else can we apply this… hm…

Freak. (Him. Not you.)

3. Comment by Chris on January 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Figures this would be in MA news. Up here in NH, we just assume such things as default and don’t even notice.

And, I’m with Karyn. Let’s find out how many “no contract, no obligation” situations we can come up with.

4. Comment by Steve on January 23, 2007 5:14 pm

Hmm. I used to be a news-junkie. Since I’ve ,moved here, I’ve been feeling kinda outta the loop as I don’t really pay attention to newscasts or newspapers anymore. On Sunday, for instance, Chris will say, “it’s Sunday. There is no news today.” So you’ll forgive me when I say that this is the first I’ve heard of this guy.