And Life Goes On

Despite having to dodge metalic circuit boards with Lite-Brite images of bird-waving aliens*, I managed to get together with my friend, Jen, for dinner last night. Instead of eating in the North End as we usually we do, we decided to drive out to the exciting city of Everett. Yes, Everett.

At least, I think it’s Everett. I guess it could be Malden or Medford? Either way, we ate at the gastronomic celebration that is the Texas Roadhouse. MMMMMMMMMMM

I played it safe with a half rack of ribs (which filled the plate – I can’t imagine what the full rack looks like). Trying to be healthy – especially after their butter soaked rolls which we then covered with even more cinnamon butter – I opted for the house salad and a side of “fresh vegetables”. The salad was healthy enough (aside from the hard-boiled egg)…but the “fresh” vegetables were literally soaking in a small bowl of melted butter. Nasty.

Still, the ribs (as always…I’d been there before) fell off the bone with no effort. I went home stuffed and watched American Idol.

*That has to be the stupidest guerilla advertising campaign. Did Turner Broadcasting/Cartoon Network not think that circuit board looking things with batteries and wires attached to bridges and underpasses wouldn’t freak people out in a post-9/11 world? I’m sure every single blog in Boston is going to write about this today so I don’t want it to be the focus of my blog….but let me just say that I hope Turner/Cartoon Network get fined up the ass and pays IN FULL the amount of money the state/city/transit authority spent investigating these things.

1. Comment by Will on February 1, 2007 12:04 pm

Your saying that all the Boston blogs would be full of the Turner Network fake bomb story made me think of just how few of the QBB actually live in Boston. You, Atari, Keith and I are, I think, the only ones. We have a number of members, all couples, who live in Portmouth, NH (Chris and Steve), in various western suburbs (Sean and Jeff, Bryan and Jason, Jeff and Moe) or even in mid-state (Jim).

I mention this only because so few of the guys live and work in the city itself and would not have been affected. But there are a lot of gay bloggers within the city limits with whom we’ve never connected, like Evan in the Fenway, Eric Scott Matthews, Johnny Diaz, Steve of Chaos (who actually wrote me expressing interest), Will (the other one) and the political bloggers like Pelican in Her Piety.

I’m very happy Tom Menino is going after those clowns with everything he has, including having the state’s new attorney general and governor solidly on his side. I somehow doubt Mr. Turner and his marketing people would even consider walking through an airport shouting in Arabic and carrying realistic toy UZIs. But they thought nothing of attaching suspicious electronic devices to our bridges and buildings. Totally irresponsible behavior.

2. Comment by Ellen on February 1, 2007 12:42 pm

Mmm, the rolls (and cinnamon butter) from Texas Roadhouse are sooooooo good. That’s definitely NOT a place to bring someone with peanut allergies…they’ll die within a mile of that place.

3. Comment by Steve on February 1, 2007 2:42 pm

*LOVES* Texas Roadhouse. Sounds yummy. And that whole Aqua Team Hunger Force story is huge. A friend of mine does a character voice for that show – I wonder is he was involved, or knew about it.

4. Comment by veselka slut on February 1, 2007 5:18 pm

Love ribs, uhhhhhhhmmmmmm.

So, Boston’s finest AND the major media can’t tell the difference between a Lite Brite of a common cultural image and a bomb? The company DID have permits for the locations too, why the fuck pay so damn much for permitting if city hall has it’s head so far up its fat, gray ass it can’t make put this story together before the commutes of thousands are interrupted. How do I get on this gravy train of ineptitude.