An Unreachable Hypocrite

I hate cell phones. No, I detest them. I can’t stand listening to other people’s conversations. I can’t stand phones ringing in restaurants and theatres. I can’t stand oblivious drivers (and pedestrians) unaware of what’s going on around them and practically causing accidents wherever they go. I can’t stand people calling me and wanting to chat.

…and I can’t stand the fact that I left my cell phone at home last night and haven’t had access to it since heading to Randy’s last night.

It makes no sense. I groan every time the damn thing rings. Half the time I have it with me (particularly at night) I turn it completely off. Yet somehow the fact that I don’t have access to it is driving me crazy. I just don’t get it.

I keep wondering if it’s ringing. Are there test messages? Has there been an emergency?

Of course, once I get home tonight and realize that nobody has called and nobody has sent a text message, I’ll sigh with relief and then turn the thing off to save the battery.

1. Comment by Lise on April 20, 2007 11:44 am

OMG – my exact thoughts!!! Worst is when trapped on the train – a long commuter rail ride home say – and you are forced to listen to some idiot conversation. And they have to shout. And no one ever has anything the least interesting, intelligent or salacious to say.

2. Comment by jeff on April 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Way back when cell phones were a bit newer, and analog, I could listen into conversations with my police scanner. Most of the time I found them completely boring. The only interesting ones I remember was a guy making arrangements with a prostitute at the Rockland Holiday Inn, and another poor sap on a phone sex line, and interrupted by someone entering the room. Back to the topic though, as I’m sure Randy has told you, I rarely answer, or know the location of my phone. I hate them too…….

3. Comment by Will on April 22, 2007 8:23 am

Absolutely, 100% true. But then there was the day when I was driving on a fairly deserted country road in New Hampshire and my car stopped dead miles and miles from anywhere and AAA was just a call away and I HAD my cell phone and suddenly all was right with the world.