He’s So Good To Me!

I can’t believe we leave for vacation in two days. I started packing last night and am second-guessing my decision to pack light. Since we’re going to be flying so much (Boston to London, London to Prague, Prague to Paris, Paris to Boston) I didn’t want to have to check luggage at each destination (and the low-cost carrier’s we’re using to get around Europe have more strict carry-on allowances). I’d rather the convenience of getting up and going without waiting for luggage that could potentially get lost.

Besides, despite this being a 2.5 week trip, we will have access to a washer/dryer in each destination so there is no sense in packing more than 4 or 5 days worth of clothes. But Mark (my friend in Paris) ordered some stationery while he was in the states back in April and I agreed to bring it to him once it arrived. It has arrived and the two boxes take up half of my suitcase! I’ve pawned one box off to Randy to pack and that has helped. But it’s still making it a tight fit.

Complicating matters is that unlike last year’s trip (which was late June/early July) this year we’re traveling a bit earlier in the season and it appears that the weather is going to be drastically different. Last year, it was sunny and 80’s (or higher) every day. Easy packing decision: shorts and t-shirts.

This year, it appears that temperatures are going to go from mid 70’s and humid on Friday to lower 50’s the next day. That means I have to pack jeans…and maybe a jacket. Oh, and showers are expected so that means adding an umbrella and water-proof shoes. Oy vey.

Maybe I’ll just ship his paper.

Oh, but there is a silver-lining (hence my blog title today). Randy has Executive Platinum status with American Airlines since he travels over 100,000 miles per year. Somehow he managed to get us free upgrades from coach to business class. I’ve never flown anything but coach before so I’m not sure what to expect. Randy says better wine and food and bigger pillows and blankets. But the part I like best is that while coach has seating in rows with 2 seats, then aisle, 5 seats, then aisle, then 2 seats, the business class seating ratio is 2/3/2 with more legroom in front, more space on the side, and seats that recline further back.

I could get used to this. 

1. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on May 22, 2007 11:23 am

Mmmmm. Love a tight fit. Enyoy.

2. Comment by Brad on May 22, 2007 1:10 pm

And have a wonderful time!

3. Comment by Will on May 22, 2007 2:12 pm

Business class is a magnitude better than coach, at least

4. Comment by Will on May 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Something really strange happened and the message sent itself before it was finished and erasing 80% of what I had written.

So–
    Business class is a magnitude better than coach, at least it was the one and only time I was upgraded on a flight from Boston to Paris. Before the door of the plane was even closed, the flight attendent came to ask, “would you like to start with champagne, sir?” Oh, how I loved that flight!

Bon voyage, Karl and bon retour!

5. Comment by snarl on May 22, 2007 2:21 pm

HMM – You’re not alone, Will! A few people have said their comments aren’t posting properly (so they’ve been emailing them instead).

Very strange…and I haven’t even posted photos (which sometimes slow things down). Must be a server thing.

6. Comment by karyn on May 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Can I come with? Please? Just this once?

Okay okay… how about a freaking postcard ?

Just this once? From the UK? Where it’s all in ENGLISH? 😉

Love you – safe journey –
    K

7. Comment by J.P. on May 24, 2007 8:13 am

I’ve found the flight attendants to be a little friskier in business class, though that could be from the champagne they were feeding me.

By the way, I’ve tagged you for a meme. Details at 11.