The World is Going Mad

I’m really starting to feel like I can’t relate to this country anymore. Just yesterday, Prez. Bush commuted the sentence of Scooter Libby claiming imprisonment was too harsh a punishment. Isn’t this the same man who was Governor of Texas? A state that uses the death penalty? So 30 months in prison is too harsh. Killing the convict…the most permanent and harsh punishment available…is not too harsh?

And then there’s this bonehead who took the Massachusetts Bar Exam recently. He failed by about 1 point (I believe you need 270 points out of 400 to pass). He claims the reason he failed was because of a question about a married lesbian couple filing for divorce. Since this test-taker was against same-sex marriage (which is 100% legal in this state so quite relevent if he plans to practice law here) he decided NOT to answer the question on the test (giving him a zero for that essay question).

Now he plans to sue the Bar. Ugh. I hope he’s permanently disbarred from practicing law here. Don’t get me wrong, he has the right to not believe in same-sex marriage. But the law is the law and the question wasn’t asking for his opinion on the topic…it was asking him what the couple’s legal standing would be under state law. I’m sure test-takers in the past had personal issues regarding various questions that appeared on the test (abortion, church and state, gun control). If you don’t provide an answer, you get no points. Sounds fair to me

On the plus side, at least one saavy entrepeneur is doing something that follows the American dream: Heidi Fleiss is planning to open a new business: Heidi’s Stud Farm. It will be the country’s first male brothel in Nevada and will employ 20 men to serve female customers. I suspect she will have no problem filling the positions. Whether she’ll be able to fill their prescriptions (for Viagra or Cialis) is beyond me. I wonder if their HMO would allow it as a work necessity?

1. Comment by Dave in Chicago (2) on July 3, 2007 2:51 pm

If the male sex workers end up with infections, she can change the name of the ranch to Burning Man. 😉

2. Comment by mindy on July 5, 2007 3:09 pm

I just got a call for Andy from a reporter who wanted a comment about the bar exam case and it took me a minute to remember where I’d read about it already. You win!